Help!

Kgkimerer

ok, 6.5/284. Load is Lapua brass, cci200, Sierra 140gr. Gameking boat tail. 51 grain of H4831sc. Shoots consistently 1-1.5 at 100 yards. Last group strings vertically after 20 rounds at 80degrees. It's off sandbags. Question, I'm questing for the one-hole group. What can I do to improve this? rookie to precision shooting.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 56
ok, 6.5/284. Load is Lapua brass, cci200, Sierra 140gr. Gameking boat tail. 51 grain of H4831sc. Shoots consistently 1-1.5 at 100 yards. Last group strings vertically after 20 rounds at 80degrees. It's off sandbags. Question, I'm questing for the one-hole group. What can I do to improve this? rookie to precision shooting.
Thanks!

The rifle doesn't like.....
Seating depth.
Barrel heat,
Or the powder.

Have you played with different powder charges and seating depths? Or just picked a powder and charge and gave her hell?

We need more info on the gun and your loading techniques.
Hunting rifle or target?
What are you using for dies?
How are you weighing powder?
How many firings on your brass?
How far away from the lands are you or are you jamming?
What kind of chronograph are you using? (33fps es is not good)
What rests are you using?

The first data I want is your bench set up. "Sand bags" may be the single worst type of rest to shoot from. How are they stacked (front and rear) and are they hard or soft?
Your groups look to me to be affected more by rifle handling than load.
When a rifle doesn't shoot the first place to look, always, is not the load but the shooter. You can waste a lot of time and money chasing nonexistent load development issues.
Get yourself a target like this one (or similar) wiith 1Moa divisions. It'll give you better data from which to analyze your issues.

Attachments

• ST4.gif
    ST4.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 48
6.5/284 new Krieger barrel. Hand weighing each 51 go of h4831 sc into new lapua brass. cci200, sierra 140gr. gameking. Thanks for the replies guys. The Sandbag is just the front rest with my fist as the rear. It's the shooter I think, and need to find an adequate rest. Oh gee more time at the range:Dgun) and tightening up my reloading cuz 33 sd is horrible

The fist at the rear is more than likely your vertical..

Which makes me really happy with that load, if my fist moved it vertically then a rest would make it a nice group!

So, are the cheap rests like under $50 worth it, or should I just rent a buddies competition rest?

Last edited:
So, are the cheap rests like under $50 worth it?

IMO, No. But this one is an excellent choice at a reasonable (IMO) price.

Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rifle Front Shooting Rest

Spend a few bucks on a good rear bag and take time to learn how to use it to your best advantage. There are many different styles out there. I like this one:

http://www.crosstac.com/shop-all-products/tactical-rear-squeeze-bag-pre-filled/

Remember not to put any gind on the butt stock. The rifle needs to move rearward freely so that it makes even contact with the shoulder and avoid putting any down pressure on the stock. Down pressure generates more vertical than you might imagine.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.