Help with Savage Model 10

Ok, Whats your thoughts on using Virgin Brass vs neck sized only thats been fired 3 times and neck sized. Thats in regards to re doing the OCW test. I used fire formed and neck sized only by backing up my full length sizing die for the first test, I suppose to be consistent I should do the same?

Thanks

Ok, Whats your thoughts on using Virgin Brass vs neck sized only thats been fired 3 times and neck sized. Thats in regards to re doing the OCW test. I used fire formed and neck sized only by backing up my full length sizing die for the first test, I suppose to be consistent I should do the same?

Thanks
Your method is the exact method I use for all of my rifles, with the exception of my ARs. I anneal after 3 firings...

Sorry for my ignorance
Whats the procedure for annealing and whats the reason behind it?
Thanks

It's a process used after brass has become hardened from working it thru dies. The continuous stretching from firing and resizing work hardens brass. It will become inconsistent in neck tension from case to case.
So, if you heat the necks quickly to 750 degrees, and not let the case body much below the shoulder get heated no more than 450 degrees for a very short period. The process realigns the molecules in the brass back to its original make up. It sounds very technical, but is really simple once you learn how NOT to over heat the brass.

Just google it and it will show some videos...

I will add... Some people never anneal, and get many firings out of there brass, and enjoy great accuracy... So you will hear mixed opinions on the subject. Also techniques are different for some, but the end result will usually be the same...

Well I have a 3 shot .462" group at 100 yards. Virgin Lapua brass,43.4 g Reloader15.
43.8 is max. I need to re run the OCW test but from what i'm seeing the Bedding definitely helped.

Attachments

• 308 groups post bedding.jpg
    308 groups post bedding.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 50
Well I have a 3 shot .462" group at 100 yards. Virgin Lapua brass,43.4 g Reloader15.
43.8 is max. I need to re run the OCW test but from what i'm seeing the Bedding definitely helped. 2 shots in the same hole, just enlarged the first hole a little bit, then the 3 rd shot went a little higher.
The other group was 5 shots with 43 g reloader15 but i pulled the one high left so the other 4 aren't bad. It appears the hotter the load the better, I'm tempted to load max 43.8 but i need to run the OCW test, just didn't have time today.

got it on the annealing, thanks, at almost $1.00 a case for the Lapua brass thats something I have to learn to do.

well, my scope doesn't track correctly so I found out.
Shipped it to Zeiss last Friday. Went and shot Rayner range in Blue Rock Ohio, Steel targets out to 1000 yards.
When I dialed up the scope I was shooting over everything. Needed 40 clicks to go to 500 yards, had to dial 28 clicks to be on target. Went back to 100 yards, put it on paper, dialed 4 minutes of angle, impact was at 6.75". Dial 10 moa, impact was 16.75".
checked windage, very close , 4 moa move 4". 2 moa, moved 2".
Something is stinking with this scope. It was a SWFA demo scope. Hope Zeiss can straighten it out, was around $800. 4.5x14 Conquest reticle#43. Good news is hunt is in October so I have time to sort it out. Glad I started early. Zeiss said 7-10 days to repair.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.