Help with rings

guru

I have a .300 RUM Sendero that currently has a Leupold VX6 3-18x50 mounted in a set of Leupold low dual dovetail rings. I have a VX6 4-24x52 with a 34mm tube that I'm planning on putting on it. I have a set of Warne Maxima steel 34mm rings. Would It be better to pick up a set of 34mm dual dovetail rings or change bases and use the Warne rings? Thanks

I'm surprised no one has replied...most here have posted negatively about Leupold base and rings sets. I just swapped out a brand new set...base and rings on the advice of the guys here. I have had problems with two different Leupold bases recently...so I'm planning on swapping all of mine (5 rifles) over the next few months...well at least two of them...two are safe queens and never shot so not need spending money on them right now...one rifle is for sale right now.

I'm going to the EGW base and Vortex rings...

IMO-I'd use the Warne you have...

See what p22 said I got the same thing when I just mentioned having them. My issue was the scope was too low so I needed higher rings...but everyone agreed for me to ditch Leupold.

So I did...

I had to buy new rings...just got a new base to go with them.

Yes especially when being used on heavier recoil rifles. I've had Leupold dovetail bases that didn't have good contact on the mating surfaces, or ones that have galled and caused problems. Way to many radius and angles on Leupold dovetail bases imo.

Dang, I'm about 2 days too late. I just put a set of the dual dovetails on it . Everything seemed to go together good and they were the perfect height. I had them on this rifle for years with a different scope with a 30mm tube and didn't have any problems. Should I pull them off before I sight it? I don't want to have any problems. I was worried about the extra weight of this bigger scope and the heavy recoil.

I won't ever put a set of Leupold rings on a rifle again. Burris xtr or signature XTR for me for a heavy recoiling rifle.

I have a set of medium Warne Maxima rings but they seem much taller than the set of high Leupold. It seems like if I add a rail they would be too high. Would low Warnes work with the Leupold VX6 4-24x52 ?

I think I've decided on a set of Seekins rings, I have them on other rifles and they seem well built. What height Seekins and a zero MOA rail would I need to be the same height as the high 34mm dual dovetail setup that I have now?

I have several leupold mark 4 picatinny base and rings. 3 sets actually. I've had zero trouble with them. I have two sets of the aluminum rings, one steel. They are the mark 4 series not the dual dovetails. I put 20 Moa picatinny rails on all my long range rifles.

I use the medium height 30 mm mark 4 rings, .84" high. All my scopes have 50mm bells and have ample clearance from barrel. I would think the lowest height 34mm rings should work for your vx6 but I'm not positive. Leupold techs might be able to tell you

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.