Help with Elevation Dial

G

Hi Guys,
I need some help, I just received my new rifle/scope and I am confused about dialing in the elevation after I know my target distance. I have the Leupold Mark 4 3.5x10x40 with a BDC. This is my first scope of this caliber. The two rows of numbers on the dial is what I do not understand. The top row reads "2-13" with "x100yds." written next to it and the bottom row reads " 0-60 " in increments of one. Can someone explain this system to me or give an example of how to dial in at an Elevation MOA? I can see that I am going to enjoy this, a reason to go pratice! I also have the Elite 1500 range finder.
thanks, Laine

The first row is your BDC, it should have a 1 also, if not zero your rifle at the lowest distance represented, for instance if its a 2, zero at 200 yards , then loosen the set screws, and rotate the dial to that number, and tighten the set screws. Your now zeroed and ready to use the BDC.

The second row of numbers is Minute of Angle, in increments of you guessed it... One MOA. Even though your shooting the load the BDC was desinged for, it probably wont track perectly with the BDC, due too different BP, temp, muzzle velocity, etc. Therefor you still have MOA adjustments. Lets say, you shoot at 500yds, and even though you are using the "5" on the dial its still hitting low by 7 inches, well if you go "5 plus one", meaning your at the 5 mark plus one minute of angle, you'll only be 2in low, which is acceptable.

Hope it helps.

Note if you can it helps to zero at the longest or medium range you can and set the dial there. That will help keep the errors minimized at long range where it most critical. So if you can shoot 500yds zero there and follow the same instructions as above, but slip the dial to "5" instead of "2".

Charles,
Thanks a million, now it makes more sense. I have read plenty of info. on it but when it was in my hands I realized I didn't understand it. I will have to post a pic of my new rig, I purchased a G.A. Percision, 300 WSM Nontypical, with the Leupold Scope. It's a great looking gun, now I need to learn all the technical stuff to long range shooting. I am still confused about the MOA from a ballistic table that reads 4.60 at 500 yds. with it zeroed at 300 yds.(I may have plugged in something wrong)?? What do I do with this 4.6? Thanks again for the help, Laine

[ QUOTE ]

I am still confused about the MOA from a ballistic table that reads 4.60 at 500 yds. with it zeroed at 300 yds.(I may have plugged in something wrong)?? What do I do with this 4.6? Thanks again for the help, Laine

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright you are trying to mix two different systems. With the adjustment system(M3LR) you have, you dont really want to use a MOA drop chart. You want to shoot the load that is the one the dial was made for, ie. 300win mag 190grSMK at 2900fps, or it might say, A191, or one that matches it. Then you shoot it and log the diffference at each range. The MOA drop chart is for scopes with true MOA adjustments. If you have a scope with 1/4MOA adjustments, the top is numbered, usually between 1-10 and 1-15MOA with three little lines between each number that represent .25MOA. If your drop chart calls for 4.6MOA, you would round to the nearest .25moa, in this case 4.5MOA, so you would adjust 4 and 1/2 MOA up on the turret.

O.K. now I understand, I was trying to use both systems. Just use the BDC and if low just add the needed moa. to get up to the target. Shooting at the range will get me these numbers, at different distances. Now, one more item to clear up, when you say re-zero the knob, are you meaning to untighten allen screws and turn knob counter clock wise until it stops? Sorry for all the questions but I am just sitting here in south Louisiana watching the hurricane and thinking about this gun. Laine

Laine, you got now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The zero thing-

After you sight it in, loosen the allen screws, and rotate the dial to match whatever range you sighted in at, and tighten allen screws. Your now ready to use the BDC.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.