HELP~Rem 700 VS SF II Problem

Overkill338

My brother picked up his new .220 Swift, great looking rifle. One little problem, well actually it is a big problem. He put on the two piece Weaver bases that was given with the rifle. We have tried two sets of rings and two scopes.

The problem is, when the scope is mounted, and you look through a bore sighter (like the Leupold), the cross hairs are waaaay off to the right of the alignment grid. The scopes run out of adjustment before you can ever get it centered up in the sighter. Looking for suggestions here. Could it be bad bases ? Would he be better off with a one piece ? I'm thinking if Remington tapped the holes for the base off center, it would show up with a one piece base, as the screw holes wouldnt line up. He is a little warm under the collar about it. Picked up a brand new, $1000 gun and cant even shoot it. Just wanted to get some suggestions before calling Remington, thought it might be something simple we are missing.

Thanks in advance !

Need a bit more info Tang. Is the rifle new, never owned by anyone else new? The reason I ask is because of your statement; "Weaver bases that was given with the rifle." I've never heard of Remington including rings/bases, except for rifle/scope combo packages (ADL&710).
Were the bases in a Weaver package, unopened? Someone may have opened it and then slipped the wrong bases back in.
Do either of you have a scope alignment tool? One can easily be fashioned from a 1" dowel rod, if that's the size of his scope tube. This will prevent any further scope damage and you can see if the bases are bad or base hole are misaligned.
I would first suspect the rifles receiver, I've heard about others who've had that problem. Never had it happen to me. You can believe I'd take it back to the gunshop owner/manager right away. Keep us informed. JohnnyK.

..this is not uncommon, unfortunately, for mfr to misalign the base screw holes. Firstly, I would check make sure your scope(s) are centered before mounting. Adjust windage / eleva all the way over (then go all the way back counting clicks) then come back ½ way. You could be mounting the scope with the windage knob adjusted mostly to the right side, causing you to think your rifle's screw holes are off center. New scopes usually don't have to do this, however, sometimes they do ..definitely do it for a used scope..
Personally I would not use a laser bore sighter, line it up looking thru the bore the old fashioned way (I never like to put anything into the muzzle end of a brannew rifle, I'm not that brave, that's just me) . Next I would try a new set of bases, my bet is the ones they ship with it arent tested with the gun and are usually 'low grade' imho. Align the rings, mount scope and level the scope, and see if its still off.. Then if all else fails, you need to have new base holes tapped, you can do this yourself or send it back . .. hope this helps a little and good luck..

If the rifle is new and the warranty is in affect, don't touch it. Take it back to where you got it and have them take care of it for you... it should be free of charge!

speaking of bore sighting tools. Had 1 shop use 1 and then another. Both time nowhere neer close. I now do it the old school way! Every time I see some one using I want to give them my hammer so thay fix that bore sighter!

Appreciate the replies. The Weaver bases were new and came from the shop it was bought at.

I think he wants to get a Leupold base with windage, and a new set of rings. I'll keep you informed on what happens.

A "Weaver Style" base is Ok as long as it's not made by Weaver and made out of Aluminum.

If he likes that style of base, use a set of Warne 2 piece Steel bases and a set of Millet Steel rings, they are also adjustable for windage.

I would defenately check to see if the holes are drilled in the wrong place. If that isn't the issue, the next thing could be the bbl, but that's doubtful.

Bore sighters are Evil and the old method of boresighting by eye is a good method. I can get a rifle (bolt or single shot) on paper with out fireing a shot every time. It usually takes 2-3 more shots to sight in.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.