Help out a new guy with a custom build

njones125

Hi all, I have been lurking here for awhile but I am a new member. Not new to shooting but I have a lot to learn about serious long range and custom rifles. I already have a Huskemaw 5-20X50 and a weatherby mark v chambered in 30-378 that I want to use the action from for my custom. I know what my options are with that bolt face but haven't really made my mind up. I'm thinking leaving it as a 30-378, or going to a 338-378 or 338 Lapua. Any pro's or cons to each one? I have tons of questions about the build itself which I'm sure a experienced gunsmith can help me with but I would like some suggestions from you pro's about what my priorities should be. Of course I want a very accurate long range rifle but other than a lot of practicing its primary purpose will be for hunting, what is a realistic weight I can achieve out of this build? I also know that the sky is the limit on how much I spend but what is an average price minus the action for a gun that I can expect 800 yds on for hunting, and yes I know I have to do my part. I am only comfortable shooting to about 5-600 yds as of now. I would appreciate any suggestions or input from anyone who has use the mark V action for a custom. Thanks

Last edited:
Any of the 3 cartridges you mention will be more than adequate for hunting out to 800 yards. Also take a look at the 338 Norma and 300 Norma magnums which have similar case capacity to the 338 Lapua and the same bolt face. The 300 Norma would probably be the cheapest one to shoot, based on price of brass and bullets. 338-378 will put the biggest grin on your face but is also the most expensive. They're all good though, do a little research and see which one suits you the best.

Weight will depend largely on which barrel contour/length you choose. Stock and scope/mounts also play a part. I think anywhere between 10-12 lbs out the door is a good weight for this kind of build.

Price will vary a lot depending on which components you select and the gunsmith. Best thing to do is price out all the components and get a quote from your 'smith.

I looked into both the Normas and I dont know that I could make a bad decision whichever way i decide. Is there any of the mentioned calibers that handles a shorter barrel better. (still looking to save some weight). I am really leaning towards the 338 Lapua and second choice right now is the 338/378. I have contacted a few gunsmiths and only heard back from one so far, his rough quote puts me at about 1900+ labor. I will not be shy about paying for quality parts and an experienced gunsmith but I honestly know nothing about what a build should cost. I see some custom guns for sale on here with very low round counts for great prices. (not much over what that quote will cost me minus the action. I dont think guys are sacrificing that much of a loss to unload them??? I have no problem paying that or more for what I want I just dont want to be taken advantage of. If you guys can tell me what your opinions are on what it should cost me I would really appreciate it, and any other thoughts on this build? Im trying to learn as much as I can. I would also take any recommendations on gunsmiths who are experienced with this action? One other thing, is hoping to have the gun back early summer an unreal expectation? The one guy I talked to said 8-10 months. I live on the MT/ND border and sending my gun away for better craftsmanship doesnt bother me.

$1900 seems like quite a bit for parts, considering you already have the action. You can easily price out parts yourself if you want to. Barrels range from under $300 to around $500 for stainless and fluted. Stocks can be had anywhere from $200 to over a grand. Here's about what I'd spend on parts:

Barrel: $450 (stainless fluted)
Muzzle brake: $100
Stock $400-600
Bottom metal: not needed, but around $100 if you want something other than what you've got.
Trigger: not needed. Install a lighter spring in the existing trigger and you're good.

So my build would be around $1100 for parts. Figure around $400 for installing the barrel and brake, maybe another $200-400 for inletting and bedding the stock. Around $2000 total. I think it's better to get all your parts together and then bring everything to the gunsmith and have him put it together. Ordering stuff takes a lot of time so if you have the gunsmith do it he's going to charge you more.

You can save money by not fluting the barrel. Maybe a less expensive stock. And do the stock work yourself if you're handy. You could get things down closer to $1200 pretty easily. I have a gun that I built fairly inexpensively and it turned out awesome. It's a laminated stock 700 that I sent to Pac-Nor for a new barrel. I had them install a Muscle Brake while they were at it. Total for that was about $900. I pillar bedded the stock myself and did my own trigger job. Including the price of buying the gun I'm into it $1700.

338 Lapua would be a great choice. In many actions it suffers a bit with heavy bullets because the case is so long. Bigger bullets eat up more case capacity and some performance is lost. Building on a Weatherby action you won't have that problem if you design the chamber/throat for the longer bullets. The 378-based cartridges are awesome (as you already know) but you can get close to the same ballistics out of a 338 Lapua or 300 Norma and save a bunch of money on brass.

Well I think I found the gunsmith I want to work with on this build and to me it seems like a very fair price. For the whole build Including:
Blueprint Action
Shilen Match SS Barrel (Contour of my choice)--What would you guys recommend?
Muzzle Brake
All Machine work
Pillar bed
Cerokote color of my choice.
Timney Trigger
Im at $1,175 including labor
Now I need to choose a stock the gunsmith recommended a Mcmillan( I told him I wanted to keep it as light as possible.) Is it really worth the extra $3-400 over say a Bell and Carlson for what looks like to me at most saving 3/4lb?
I have also decided to build it in the 338 Lapua

Prices look good. I'll let someone else chime in on stock choice since I haven't used Mcmillan. For a barrel contour I'd study Shilen's barrel weight chart to see if that helps. Somewhere between a #4 and a Sendero contour you should find one that fits you.

I wouldn't spend the money on a Timney until you've tried tuning up the factory trigger. My Mark V trigger is very good after installing a lighter spring and adjusting sear engagement. Before hand it was crisp but too heavy. I have Timneys on other rifles and I cannot tell the difference between them and the Mark V. It cost me $13 and about 30 minutes.

Hi all, I have been lurking here for awhile but I am a new member. Not new to shooting but I have a lot to learn about serious long range and custom rifles. I already have a Huskemaw 5-20X50 and a weatherby mark v chambered in 30-378 that I want to use the action from for my custom. I know what my options are with that bolt face but haven't really made my mind up. I'm thinking leaving it as a 30-378, or going to a 338-378 or 338 Lapua. Any pro's or cons to each one? I have tons of questions about the build itself which I'm sure a experienced gunsmith can help me with but I would like some suggestions from you pro's about what my priorities should be. Of course I want a very accurate long range rifle but other than a lot of practicing its primary purpose will be for hunting, what is a realistic weight I can achieve out of this build? I also know that the sky is the limit on how much I spend but what is an average price minus the action for a gun that I can expect 800 yds on for hunting, and yes I know I have to do my part. I am only comfortable shooting to about 5-600 yds as of now. I would appreciate any suggestions or input from anyone who has use the mark V action for a custom. Thanks
At the ranges you are talking about the 300wm, Norma, 30 Nosler are all more than adequate and will be far less expensive to load for in the future.

Chris at Benchmark will true your action and make/install a great barrel for around 800.00.

You can get great efficiency with these calibers in a 28" barrel as well whereas you really need to go considerably longer to get the benefit of the extra case capacities of the cartridges you are talking about as well.

I shoot both the 300wm and 300Rum and there's not enough difference in terminal performance at 800yds or less to make it worth the extra cost, trouble, muzzle blast and recoil of going with the Rum for probably 98% of long range hunters.

If you just want to build a monster killer you can but I really don't see the benefit.

With the rounds you mentioned I would go with the 338 Lapua. It is a great round with tons of load info. and best of all Lapua brass. gun)...................:)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.