Help me refine and check my shooting system

albertakid

Hey there fellas,

I usually am content to just read the wealth of knowledge here and only post a question or two, but after messing with my new rifle scope combo for about a year now I have a few questions concerning my shooting techniques so I figured I would ask what you think to help refine and adjust.

First off I have been shooting a cz-usa 550 varmint chambered in .308 with a monarch 2-10x42 BDC scope shooting seirra match kings in 168 grains

With this set up I initally planned on using the turrets to accomplish all of my adjustments and the bdc for back-up however over the last year I have been mssing with kind of a hybrid system using the bdc reticle for anything out to 500 yards and the turrets past that. This system seems to work real well in my field experiance as te bdc reticle in my scope matches up almost perfect with my load and the elevations and temps I shoot in.

Basically what I havedone is figure out a 100-500 drop chart to use the turrets when shot time allow, ut I can also use the bdc if time dosn't permit.

I then made a second drop chart using my last hold off point that goes from 500-850 so that all my adjustments can be made with one turn of the turret

As fo wind I generally set my drop chart for 10 mph and adjust from there using the windage knob...

So my question is what do you guys think of this system does it sound solid or are there any glaringly obvious mistakes I have made in my figures?

I am still learning all I can on the effects of temp and elevation on my trajectory, but all of my filed shooting has backed this system up so far.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed

there's more than one way to skin a long range cat and i think you have an excellent system. things can happen quick when the range is under 500 and you have a drop and shoot technique in place. longer shots require more time and setup and you crank the turrets. i think it will work very well if your scope can do one thing. and this is true of any scope that the turrets are used for different distances. they have to repeat.

only thing i would do is test your scope doing some sort of box test to verify that it will repeat. it will drive you absolutely "nuts" trying to figure out a drop chart if your scope doesn't repeat.

I have walked this scope in a box a couple of times and it seems to hold zero really well for a mid priced scope I bought it cause it had the most internal adjustment of the scopes I could afford and I have a few friends that shoot magnums an use the adjustments a ton and the scope has held up for them so I am hoping it will holdup for me untill I can afford a nightforce or maybe a bdc turret scope.

So far this system worked well this year I shot my elk at 300+ and a couple coyotes at 4 and 500

Thanks for the replies and Merry Christmas

Jordan

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.