Help me pick a scope

I'd skip the $ range or the Burris and PST (which I'd definitely not recommend) and look at a Mark 5HD or NX8. Spend a bit more and don't look back. This is what lrh is for, to encourage you to spend lots of money. I shoot both, they are both great and worth the extra coin.

I'd skip the $ range or the Burris and PST (which I'd definitely not recommend) and look at a Mark 5HD or NX8. Spend a bit more and don't look back. This is what lrh is for, to encourage you to spend lots of money. I shoot both, they are both great and worth the extra coin.
The Vudu should be about that quality; I get a deal on them though

Not dogging the vudu, I havnt touched one but definitely took a look. Not opposed, but suggesting what I know is worth $1500+. OP if you happen to be leo/mil think leupold makes the decision easy.

If I could get back half what I spent trying to buy "bargain scopes" I could put a new VX-6 on every refile I own and have money leftover.

The problem is getting hooked on the hype and the latest, greatest, and newest rather than being patient and sticking with what is tried, true, and proven over and over.

What you'll spend on three 800-1,200.00 scopes you end up replaing will buy 2 VX-6's or maybe even 3 VX5's you'll never need to replace or one USO, Swarovski, March etch.

If I've learned anything over the last decade, a good bit from this site, is to avoid the hype and buy more wisely.

Be willing to spend up to 2x for the glass as compared to the rifle. The most accurate rifle on earth is just an overpriced club if you can't hit anything with it because of a failed scope.

Not dogging the vudu, I havnt touched one but definitely took a look. Not opposed, but suggesting what I know is worth $1500+. OP if you happen to be leo/mil think leupold makes the decision easy.
EMS but I dont know if they give discounts

I agree with Rose, if this is a serious rifle, buy a serious scope. I have, and use, cheap scopes in some situations. But NONE of my serious hunting rigs gets a cheap scope. I have Leupold scopes that have been mounted on the same rifle for 30+ years, never had an issue, never change zero. I have bought some Zeiss Conquest scopes in the last few years, and I really like them. You need to figure out how much you spend to buy a license, pay a lease or guide, travel, food etc, then the time spent to actually hunt your once in a lifetime trophy. So you are this deep in, you have been hunting this one animal for years, and the once in a lifetime trophy comes by. Now you either can't see it through your cheap scope, it's fogged up or it has lost zero, and you missed the shot. Who is winning now, and what will you remember until your last breath? How much you saved on the scope that you replaced after the fact? You don't want to know how I came to that decision, but my Daughter could explain it to you! Buy once, cry once, and put that big boy on the wall! Put the cheap scope on a rifle that you carry squirrel hunting every day, or use to teach the kids and grandkids how to shoot. they work fine for shooting tin cans, if you miss it don't hurt your feelings. My $250.00 Remington 700 ADL has over $1000.00 in glass on top of it, and I have no regrets.

I've been behind both you ask about, still owning the XTR II. From what I understand, both are of Philippine manufacture. Both have zero stops, both offer great reticles, both offer outstanding customer service. I do believe the Burris is of more robust construction. However, Glass in the XTR II can be hit/miss as the early manufactured scopes had some significant issues.

I don't think you can lose between the two. It's not like I can say "Support the American company!!" Because... Philippines, still better than China.

Now, Doug did mention deals on the XTR III as they are being discontinued with the XTR IIIi coming soon. These are assembled in Greeley, CO FWIW & offer a significant optical upgrade from the XTR II but there will be a cost increase, regardless of the discount.

t

I ended up getting the 3-15x44 viper more or less because of size and praciticality
-I will only be using it inside of 4-500 yards for the most part and the other scopes mentioned are massive for the rifle it would be going on

Thanks all

I have 4 NXS, a couple of March service rifle scopes, a couple of Vortex HD, a Trijicon, an old Japanese made Nikon 2.5-10x56 with simple duplex. For short range hunting inside 300 I still like that old Nikon. Plenty of light through the 56 objective lens.

Now, having said all that, for my lightweight 30 Nosler, the March 5-25x52 MTR-5 is coming. March loaned me the same scope with different reticle. I really took a liking to it, decided to buy one. My two 1-4.5x24 March service rifle scopes for CMP/NRA matches served me well over time, I am sure the one coming should do just as well.

In one year of service rifle matches we most likely click back and forth both in elevation and windage more times than most hunters do in a lifetime. We shoot the 4.5X scope atop the 20 inch 223 ARs from 200-300-600-1000. The March scopes shine in this department - repeatable and precise clicks. At Camp Perry and CMP LEG matches there are no sighting shots. The optical sight better have some clicks you can trust. I miss the old iron sight days.

I have 4 NXS, a couple of March service rifle scopes, a couple of Vortex HD, a Trijicon, an old Japanese made Nikon 2.5-10x56 with simple duplex. For short range hunting inside 300 I still like that old Nikon. Plenty of light through the 56 objective lens.

Now, having said all that, for my lightweight 30 Nosler, the March 5-25x52 MTR-5 is coming. March loaned me the same scope with different reticle. I really took a liking to it, decided to buy one. My two 1-4.5x24 March service rifle scopes for CMP/NRA matches served me well over time, I am sure the one coming should do just as well.

In one year of service rifle matches we most likely click back and forth both in elevation and windage more times than most hunters do in a lifetime. We shoot the 4.5X scope atop the 20 inch 223 ARs from 200-300-600-1000. The March scopes shine in this department - repeatable and precise clicks. At Camp Perry and CMP LEG matches there are no sighting shots. The optical sight better have some clicks you can trust. I miss the old iron sight days.
I shot service rifle for years, still have everything, 3 points shy of distinguished. Need a trip to anniston or perry

I shot service rifle for years, still have everything, 3 points shy of distinguished. Need a trip to anniston or perry
You will not find a better scope for the money , for a hunting scope than the ffp 3x18 x50 Meopta with the 4 D -Diachoric Reticle Zero stop ,zero lock in the Optica 6 series . That scope can be bought for around 800.00 bucks , European glass and not made in China . Meopta used too make scopes for some of the Zeiss scopes .