Help me find out about this scope- history of

Snake Plysken1

Hey, folks. Got a question, on a rifle scope combo I purchased thru a private owner back in like 2011.
Purchased a Tikka T3 stainless bull barrel in a 22-250. It came with a Tasco 10x40 power with like a 2.733" objective. It has a lighted, 2 color objective, and the reticle, I'm not sure of the style, but have seen it on some crossbow type scopes. It has a gargantuan size, side parallax focus adjustment. I have googled and searched all over, and it seems the Tasco's today have objective adjustment for parallax, do not have a gargantuan objective lens size as this one, and do not have the power increments such as this one. I contacted the person I bought it from, to see if he had the owners manual, but unfortunately he didn't, and he bought it off of a vendor at a local, Bakersfield, CA gun show.
I'll try and upload some pics. My goal for this rifle was not only target, but wanted to use it for predator hunts. But being that it is coming in at around 13 lbs., I'd like to shave off some weight, thru another scope. But, at the same time, if this happens to be a scope worth keeping, I'd rather keep it on the rifle, and possibly in the future just pick up a Savage, Tikka, or Remmy, in a lighter rig. So that's my dilemma. Wondering if this scope is of any value, really. I've read somewhere that at one time, Tasco's were of very good quality, and some of the vintage ones are still being sought after.
Think anyone can assist me?
As always, thank you
SP1

Pic #1 of the scope's reticle type

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 105
Another thing- that objective is so big, it goes past the sizes in Butler Creeks catalog of flip up objective lens covers. The one that came with the scope has a case of limpness. Although the scope says 60mm objective, I mic'd it at 2.733", and so far I cannot source one of this size

Thanks again
SP1

Pretty simple really!

You get WHAT YOU PAY FOR in scopes!!

Totally understand, but if you read my original, long winded request for assistance in finding out all about it, it came with the rifle. Would I go out now and buy a Tasco? Maybe for one of my air rifles is all. I did not buy this scope outright, and if I did, I would never have sought everyone's assistance on a Tasco purchase. Like asking everyone about a Big 5 Barska special, LOL!
But hey, man, thanks for your input, regardless

Really inmaterial whether the scope came with the rifle or not!

If I was offered a new PU with worn out tires....I'd buy new tires!

Really inmaterial whether the scope came with the rifle or not!

If I was offered a new PU with worn out tires....I'd buy new tires!
Yes, so would I, on the new tires...but being worn down, could have probably meant:
1. Previous owner couldn't afford the newer tires prior to the sale, or top of the line tires like Toyos
2. Or, they were such a good, if not expensive, set of tires that the previous owner kept them for as long as he could, in getting the most bang for his buck

The scope is not worn out, it's actually in mint condition, and allowed me to hit a bulls eye at 600(not a big deal to most, but was for me at the time of sale)so bad example there.

Again, looking for the history of. Someone on here, at one time or another, has owned a Tasco, or knows about vintage scopes. Set aside your emotions for favoring the NF, Zeiss, etc. in quality, as I have stated that I may upgrade in either a new scope, or another rifle altogether. I JUST WANT TO FIND OUT ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR SCOPE.
Anyone else?

I've replaced numerous TASCO SCOPES over the years for people that have come here to my range and those scopes have ALL wound up on the JUNK HEAP OF HISTORY!!

If you want to have fun with it, by all means get your money's worth. The reticle reminds me of what the old crossbow scopes used to have.

I personally wouldn't depend on it for hunting. As for the history, I'd imagine there is little to none. Just a scope, its not one of them fancy telescopes from a century ago.

1, I read on another thread a poster had a Tasco made in Japan that was a very reliable scope. If it holds turret settings and is clear, use it or, as you indicated find a lighter one and put the Tasco on something else. You didn't indicate the country of origin on your Tasco, perhaps that would be a start. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.