Help me decide which 22LR bolt action

Well, my impatience has won out and I couldn't wait until winter so I've started on refinishing the stock. Fully disassembled today (including removal of buttonplate / recoil pad) and have started the chemical stripping applications. Plan on fully stripping old lacquer finish off, sand smooth, and finish with tru-oil. I'll post pics and update as I progress.

Just an FYI, be careful if you're sanding as it's easy to round over the edges, I have lightly sanded stocks too but mostly I use 0000 American made steel wool. I'm pretty careful to remove any particles before applying the finish and have never had it rust or freckle under the finish, some of the stocks I've done are over 35 years old. If you didn't buy a new bottle of Tru-oil buy one, new oil will dry in about 2-4 hours if you sit the stock in front of a small heater, just don't get it to close. I started my first coat with some old Tru-oil I had and it took about 6 days before I could handle it, also it only took me about 15 to 20 drops with some left over per coat, the thinner you apply it with your hands the better the results. Good luck.

Last edited:
So true about old Tru-oil. I found out the same way you did several years ago. I will still use it, only I will get a new bottle for a new project. Just me.

Sir, know you will not be disappointed with your CZ. I have them as well, two 452 trainers. Put Yo-Dave trigger kits in both and they are shooters for sure. Also have a Tikka t-1 and it is just as accurate. Do have a couple of Annies that are really accurate as well, but will seldom pull them out of the gun safe. Hope you do enjoy your new rifle.

Well, after reading about 5 million posts on refinishing how-to's I was able to achieve an outcome that I'm super happy with. A few pics of 'Mud Duck' before / and now after. I really like the character in the wood and how it's no longer hidden. I think the checkering is still a bit too light especially on the butt portion so may do another coat or two of tru oil diluted with mineral spirits until I get the tone I'm looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_7346.jpeg
    IMG_7346.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7356.jpeg
    IMG_7356.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7355.jpeg
    IMG_7355.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7354.jpeg
    IMG_7354.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7353.jpeg
    IMG_7353.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7342.jpeg
    IMG_7342.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 42
I have done many stock restorations with TruOil. Years ago TruOil came in two options. A bottle of liquid or a Aerosol Spray Can. The Aerosol Spray was the best for application.
Then the Government intervened and BANNED TruOil in Aerosols Spray. The reason was the "Tweakers" Highschool kids would use the Spray in Paper bags and inhale to get HIGH!. Don't know how the Government DEA came up with that but they did.
What you can do now if get TruOil and mix it with thinner and use an Air Paint spray gun to get the same results as the Spray Cans of TruOil.

Did some testing today on action screw torque. Tested 19, 21, 23, & 25 in-lbs. definitely tightened up at 23 & 25 settings. While the official group sizes at 25 were the best, to me the shape of the groups at 23 look more desirable …. I may run at 23. Any opinions? All groups at 50yds & 10 shots / group.

Attachments

• IMG_7472.jpeg
    IMG_7472.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 17
I have a CZ457 with the manners stock and the 16.5" threaded barrel. About $800 I think a couple years ago. Shoots 10 rounds inside a dime at 50 yds and works well. SK Long Range (bright yellow writing) is the one I use. Shot other Eley and SK and wasn't worth a darn. Multiple rifles seems to like this combo with my friends as well. Good luck!
The equivalent now is $1300. I have the 455 Trainer and it is fantastic!

Did some testing today on action screw torque. Tested 19, 21, 23, & 25 in-lbs. definitely tightened up at 23 & 25 settings. While the official group sizes at 25 were the best, to me the shape of the groups at 23 look more desirable …. I may run at 23. Any opinions? All groups at 50yds & 10 shots / group.
Maybe split the difference and go with 24 in-lbs?

I will second the idea of Tikka and CZ. Cool thing about the Tikka T1X is it's action footprint is the same as the centerfire meaning continuity in stock options. You can find nice wood take off stocks for about $300, sometimes less if you are lucky.

My CZ's. 455 Trainer 22lr, 457 American twins in 22WMR and .17HMR. Love them all and they all shoot extremely well. Don't have any recent pics of the 457s but the 17 HMR shot a group under half inch that I posted somewhere else on this forum.

I was going to buy the Tikka at the time but couldn't find one.
426c4b5b-9d47-4b59-a223-23333ecb85be.jpg
Snapchat-419938688.jpg
20240319_140917.jpg

......Ordered the Area 419 rail and a few boxes of ammo to test. I've always shot fairly inexpensive 22LR ammo in the past. I thought I would treat the new rifle to some Lapua and Eley TenX to see what it likes.
Good luck on getting exactly what you want.
My CZ457 22LR likes SK ammo even Standard plus. As well as Wolf Match & Extra match better but harder to find in USA. In testing ammo, be sure to fire at least 5 to 10 rounds to season chamber after cleaning or between brands BEFORE accessing accuracy. Bullet coating is too often different even within brands. Then if you can shoot better than the gun, go for lot number parsing. Many times the rifle will like a velocity range, like 1050 to 1090 and rarely 1200 also. Sometimes a velocity saves expense in testing. Often a brand may shoot less than 0.5 moa at 50 yards but fall apart at 100 yards and beyond. One of my guns (an old Winchester Wildcat bolt action) doesn't do great at 25 & 50 yards but maintains around 0.75 moa out to 300 yards with Norma TAC22. But hates CCI. Oh, it loves CenterX, but I don't feed the beast.