Help me decide which 22LR bolt action

I agree with ammo selection being a critical piece of the puzzle. I've tried a few different brands and found just like my center fire rifles, each rifle has a preference. I have only tested a few at 50 yards with no bench support on the new CZ. Squirrels and varmints are in trouble. I initially was leaning toward the varmint model, but I'm pleased with performance of the lighter model.
IMG_1100.jpeg

That's the 'American' in 20.5" barrel? LMK how ur targets look with each type of ammo variant. I think I've decided on doing the CZ 457 Varmint and, once my suppressor comes in, I'll either have the barrel threaded or buy an aftermarket one.
I did a little ammo test at 50 yards a few minutes ago. The Eley tenex shot the tightest group with velocity a bit higher (std dev = 7.4 and running min of 1099.4 and max of 1119.2) over 5 shots. SK had a std dev of 12.8 with a min of 1056.3 and a max of 1091. Eley Match std dev was 5.2 with a min of 1088.8 and max of 1104.
IMG_1104.jpeg

Well, thanks for all the input guys…pulled the trigger on the CZ457 and was able to to get it out for its maiden voyage. CZ 457 Varmint, no modifications, just straight out of the box after mounting Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44 (I know, the target shooters will tell me there are much better options for a 22lr bolt action but this is what I had sitting around and given the rifle will be double duty at the range & hunting I figure this will be fine. May later get the bug to go much higher mag and put my ZCO on it or something 🤪). I feel like I got a nice piece of wood as well as i can see some tiger striping on the right side around the action (maybe refinish at some point to bring the grain out more as the factory finish is soooo dark).

Anyhow, all at 50yd fired 3 shots, adjusted scope to zero it, fired 2 more and was about perfect. Started testing several different type of ammo shooting several five shot groups starting with cheap ole Norma TAC22 which turned out to be the best of everything I tested. Given the hard trigger pull and virgin barrel just shooting off a bipod and rear bag I'm encouraged and will do more testing with Norma, SK, and Eley Tgt.

Norma TAC22: 8-5shot groups. Avg 0.438", best 0.254". Velocity = 1087 / 7.4 / 32.
CCI Stnd Vel: 7-5shot groups. Avg 0.699", best 0.400". Velocity = 1065 / 11.7 / 60.
SK Stnd+: 2-5shot groups. Avg 0.664", best 0.484". Velocity = 1175 / 5.7 / 20.
Eley Tgt: 2-5shot groups. Avg 0.544", best 0.323". Velocity = 1142 / 6.9 / 24.
Eley Club: 2-5shot groups. Avg 0.763", best 0.633". Velocity = 1092 / 9.7 / 30.
Fed GMTgt: 2-5shot groups. Avg 0.962", best 0.748". Velocity = 1115 / 20 / 72.

Have now tuned trigger and will go out and test some more (17oz pull vs factory 3#8oz…. lighter spring, polished sears, adjusted weight / pre-travel / over-travel). Hoping to see big improvements (also working on my consistency).

Target pic are the first 8 groups fired all using Norma TAC22 (albeit with 5 shots prior for sighting in)

Attachments

• IMG_7309.jpeg
    IMG_7309.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7311.jpeg
    IMG_7311.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Well, thanks for all the input guys…pulled the trigger on the CZ457 and was able to to get it out for its maiden voyage. CZ 457 Varmint, no modifications, just straight out of the box after mounting Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44 (I know, the target shooters will tell me there are much better options for a 22lr bolt action but this is what I had sitting around and given the rifle will be double duty at the range & hunting I figure this will be fine. May later get the bug to go much higher mag and put my ZCO on it or something 🤪). I feel like I got a nice piece of wood as well as i can see some tiger striping on the right side around the action (maybe refinish at some point to bring the grain out more as the factory finish is soooo dark).

Anyhow, all at 50yd fired 3 shots, adjusted scope to zero it, fired 2 more and was about perfect. Started testing several different type of ammo shooting several five shot groups starting with cheap ole Norma TAC22 which turned out to be the best of everything I tested. Given the hard trigger pull and virgin barrel just shooting off a bipod and rear bag I'm encouraged and will do more testing with Norma, SK, and Eley Tgt.

Norma TAC22: 8-5shot groups. Avg 0.438", best 0.254". Velocity = 1087 / 7.4 / 32.
CCI Stnd Vel: 7-5shot groups. Avg 0.699", best 0.400". Velocity = 1065 / 11.7 / 60.
SK Stnd+: 2-5shot groups. Avg 0.664", best 0.484". Velocity = 1175 / 5.7 / 20.
Eley Tgt: 2-5shot groups. Avg 0.544", best 0.323". Velocity = 1142 / 6.9 / 24.
Eley Club: 2-5shot groups. Avg 0.763", best 0.633". Velocity = 1092 / 9.7 / 30.
Fed GMTgt: 2-5shot groups. Avg 0.962", best 0.748". Velocity = 1115 / 20 / 72.

Have now tuned trigger and will go out and test some more (17oz pull vs factory 3#8oz…. lighter spring, polished sears, adjusted weight / pre-travel / over-travel). Hoping to see big improvements (also working on my consistency).

Target pic are the first 8 groups fired all using Norma TAC22 (albeit with 5 shots prior for sighting in)
I love the varmint 457! I knew I was throwing it in a chassis so I went Pro Varmint, but for carrying you definitely made the right choice! Squirrels beware!

Have now tuned trigger and will go out and test some more (17oz pull vs factory 3#8oz…. lighter spring, polished sears, adjusted weight / pre-travel / over-travel). Hoping to see big improvements
Was wondering if you went with a aftermarket trigger spring? The stock trigger in my 455 was ok but it's much better after installing a MCARBO spring.

Was wondering if you went with a aftermarket trigger spring? The stock trigger in my 455 was ok but it's much better after installing a MCARBO spring.
I followed the advice from Rimfire Cemtral forums and used a McMaster Carr 9657K612. Have it adjusted with the set screw about flush with the top of the nut so quite a bit of room to adjust the set screw further out lowering pull weight further (although I didn't test how low it would go). I have it where I prefer at 17oz given this rifle will be used not only at the range but in the field. Just to note, I polished the sear faces with 2000grit wet sanding as well so I'm sure this is contributing to the lighter / smoother pull. Also adjusted sear engagement and over travel to shorten the overall pull / movement.

If you wanted to go a lot lighter you can go to an even lighter spring, 9657K611 (bought some but didn't need to use it to get where I wanted to be).

Last edited:
Recommended to research, in no certain order:
1. Tikka T1x
2. Ruger American
3.Browning T-Bolt
4.Remington 581 (you'll have. to find a used one)

I own a CZ 457 American with the 24" tapered barrel and wood stock. I bought it mainly for hunting and a little target practice and plinking. I scoped it with an older Japanese made Sightron SII 4-16x42 with the adjustable AO and Burris steel rings, the scope is an even pound and the rings are 5oz. The rifle alone weighs an even 6lbs and I could've shaved off a half a pound of the total weight with a different scope and aluminum rings, but as it sits, it weighs in at about seven and a half pounds out the door, slung and loaded. Out of the box the easily adjustable stock trigger pull on mine was set at a heavy, but crisp 4lbs 8oz which I readjusted to 1lb 14oz without any modifications. When you're shooting from a bench how far the magazine sticks out the bottom of the gun isn't much of a concern, but out in the woods I carry a gun around the middle a lot, I took a hard look at the Tikka, but when I was handling it in the store the Tikka's magazine stuck out to far for me to comfortably carry the gun around its waist, I wish the CZ's magazine was flush with the stock, but it's not bad. Overall the 457 is a nice gun and at its price point I don't think you can do much better. I think you'll be very happy with your choice.

Attachments

• IMG_8806.jpeg
    IMG_8806.jpeg
    572.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8809.jpeg
    IMG_8809.jpeg
    508.4 KB · Views: 37

Recent Posts