Help me decide on a new stock for my Savage LA build...

cdherman

I have this 6.5x284 in a Savage LA action, PTG bolt face, 26" (that what was on sale a couple years ago from OpticsPlanet) Proof CF prefit barrel.

Its currently in an XLR Evolution chassis, and I have kind of fallen out of love with the whole chassis thing. Just has not felt right for me. The gun is a tack driver -- pretty much all loads under MOA. I think the guy behind the trigger cannot hold well enough to really find out -- and it won't fit in my sled correctly.

Anyhow, would like to try a Stocky's carbon Fiber in either the VG2

vg2.jpg

Or the Hunter
Hunter.jpg

The VG2 has a more vertical grip and weighs about 8 oz more that the Hunter. The Hunter is a real lightweight stock at 20-22 oz. I have mostly conventional tastes, but suspect that the VG2 offers the shooter slghtly better hold and ergonomics which *might* result in a bit better accuracy.

CF stocks for Savages are not easy to find. The Stocky's price of $548.88 is not cheap, but CF doesn't come cheap.

Anyhow, someone care to give their thoughts on which stock I should go with? (not taking offers for the XLR just yet BTW)

Thanks in advance.

I like vertical grips. Personally I'd want something with an adjustable cheek piece also. $550 is pretty reasonable for carbon stock IMO

I have a vg2 on a rem 700 build. It's a good stock, my only complaint is the sharp edge on the cheek weld, which could be mitigated with a pad or riser or some sort. The grip is great for my hands.

I have a VG2 on my Savage Ultralite , and while it's a lot better than the factory stock there's a couple things I'm not fond of , like the trigger guard rear screw set up , and the barrel is off center no matter what I do .
I expected better for the price , and I got it on sale .
IMG_0261.jpg

Hmm. Thanks for the inputs. I think I will extract the action from the chassis and weigh it. Nice to know in advance what kind of weight I am achieving. I have a couple Savage LA actions and perhaps the Hunter stock at a 23 oz weight would be a good investment. I also have a 7 Mag and a truly ultralight build would be sweet. The 7 RM has a CF Proof Prefit as well. The Proof prefits have shot very well for me.

Sad to hear the VG2 in Savage has some shortcomings. But others like it in other rifles. Hmmm..

Keep the comments coming....

I'll keep my UL in its original stock to keep it a light rifle. Mine shoots fine. Adding 1.5-2lb might as well put the stock on it you prefer. I like a traditional sporter as it more comfortable to carry and shoot in hunting situations.

I have a VG2 on my savage 300WM and I have two buddies running them on a Bighorn Origin .308 and a Savage UL 30-06. I installed the stock on all three rifles and I'll say the fit on the Savage is not as good as the Rem clones. Both Savages required some sanding to get proper fit to the action, and if you are running any aftermarket triggers or bottom metal then expect to grab a file. I have a Jard trigger and AICS pattern bottom metal on my 300WM and I actually had to mill down the bottom metal to get proper magazine alignment to the action, which resulted in some mismatch on the bottom. I also had to remove some stock material for my top bolt release conversion for the Jard trigger. Factory bottom metal with bottom bolt release fit and matched up to the bottom of the stock just fine, but was a little tight, hence the sanding. All three that I have purchased have had a perfectly centered barrel channel so I can't speak to the comment above. I put cheek risers on everything so I can't speak to the comfort of the comb either. I have a 3D printed rest of my own design on my 300WM held in place with threaded inserts, and my buddy clicked the easy button and did a drill through adjustable cheek rest.
IMG_5085.jpeg