Help me decide which caliber for my WSM build? ;)

Which caliber is your favorite?

• 6.5mm WSM

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • 7mm WSM

Votes: 52 40.6%
  • 270 WSM

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • 300 WSM

Votes: 44 34.4%

• Total voters
The ABLRs are very frangible bullets and I would not shoot anything less than the 210 in 30 cal. Personally, I would go with the 215 Berger hybrid over the ABLR as the 215 has a much better BC. A 180 CEB would be another choice.

I hadn't heard the LR version was frangible; that's unfortunate. Well the regular AB does a great job too ;)

I know of a few guys in Alaska shooting both of these... not LR though.

I'm not planning to use them at true long range distances, more of a medium distance round. The AB needs a minimum 1800FPS for reliable expansion, which gives it a max range of 700yd if what I've read is correct on ballistics.

Internal ballistics are a different matter, bigger bullets kill better (within their effective range). The added cross sectional area of the 325 should add some muscle to the "kill factor"; whether or not it's enough to actually show in the real world is a matter of testing I have yet to read about or undertake.

I'm also trying to figure out by asking around before settling on the 325, even though my default has always been fatter, heavier bullets when given the option.

I own a 300 WSM but the 7mm WSM is more broadly useful. The 6.5 version is a barrel burner deluxe and the bullet selection of good match grade .277" bullets is really slim.

image.jpg
300WSM built on a Model-70 Long Action
26" 10twist Hart #4 taper & fluted with a Jim See Muscle Brake.
Saami spec chamber with a longer throat to accommodate longer bullets W/O cramping case capacity. (lightbulb Brent C. Helped out a lot on this decision)
Coal with 180 Ab's is 3.000
Coal with 200Ab's is a tic longer.
I'm very happy with this set up & wouldn't change a thing.
I do have a lot of love for my 270WSM as well, but I'm happy with the 300WSM as my go to, all round, near or far, big or small, hunting rifle.

800+yds is reasonable for Elk with this set up where I hunt.
My Elk this year was at 29yds tho.... Go figure:D

Last edited:
My vote is 6.5mm or 30 Cal for great bullet selection and versatility. especially the 30 cal. I have a 300wm that I like very much because its ported and its not pretty so I don't have to be so careful with it but I really like them short mags. matter of fact, if I were doing it again and I knew then what I know now, it would have been a short mag. Bullet selection and placement over big any day in my opinion.

I would go with either a 7mm or .300 RSAUM. I like the longer neck of the Remington short action mags.

If you're a one gun guy then definitely don't rule out the 7mm short mag! I have a tikka 270wsm and it is a great round with mild recoil, the 7mm would be a perfect killer for all our Northwest variety.
I've shot a few 300 WSM's and let me tell you the heavier bullets (208 Amax) create recoil that is on another planet compared to the 270 WSM with 165's.
you can use a brake but in a hunting situation that can present another set of problems. Keep it simple get the 7mm it will serve you well.

The 270 WSM is the most versatile IMO, I shoot laser flat 110 TTSX at 3600 fps for coyotes and antelope then I shoot 165 or 175 gr Matrix VLD's in the mid 3000's for long range elk slap down. Norma brass it excellent!

What barrel are you running to pull mid 3000s with the 165/175s? I like the numbers but don't want more than a 24" barrel.

I have a 325 wsm that I obtained as a job perk. I have taken game to 600 with it including elk. It is a light ss a bolt and I used it a bit because so easy to pack,shot my best muleys with it. But limited bullet selection, I shot 200 NAB and some barnes also. I have to 1000 bench buds with multiple world records for both, mostly shot w/6mmdasher. But they both started with 300 wsm built off 7 wsm case.Last I heard small group record Penn rules was with 300wsm, guy is from Penn. My buds are in sister club here. The 300 wsm is a shooter.

What barrel are you running to pull mid 3000s with the 165/175s? I like the numbers but don't want more than a 24" barrel.

I'm running a 27.5 in barrel but I can easily push them over 3100fps with it, I know of some guys shooting them in Tikka's with a 23 in barrel in the 3000fps range.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.