Help me choose my glass

Jcalloway8603

So I've narrowed down my next hunting scope. I just recently sold my Athlon Ares Btr 4.5-27x50 as I realized I didn't want a FFP, and that busy of a crosshair for hunting. It was decent glass though. I've narrowed it down to a few scopes, but if there is any that will make my cut with the criteria I lay out, feel free to let me know.
The first thing I want is something with a Fire dot reticle. I've become very accustomed to liking a dot reticle over the years and it must be illuminated. The 2nd thing I know I want is SFP. The 3rd would be I want something with at least 15 power on the top end. 4th is capped turrets or at least the Windage capped. Last but not least is I would like to keep it under a grand. But I will look for used, demos, whatever it takes to get me there.
Here is the scopes that I feel meet or come close to meeting what I want. Can anyone tell me if there's one I should for sure cross off my list. Also low light performance is probably my biggest priority first. I appreciate all the help in advance.

Hawke Endurance 30 WA SF 4-16x50 LR Dot Illuminated
Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56 CDS-ZL2 Firedot 4 fine
Meopta Optica6 3-18x56 RD 4C
Zeiss Conquest V4 3-12x56 Plex 60 illuminated

I've got the new Vortex Razor HD LHT in 3-15x50 on my .300 win mag. It's SFP and has an illuminated reticle. The elevation turret is exposed but locking, and the windage is capped. It has the G4i BDC reticle, which is the only option they have with the 50mm objective. Its a not a busy reticle and I think it would be great for hunting. The optic quality is great. The adjustments are in mils (if that matters to you). The price is right around $1100 with tax brand new in the box.

I compared the LHT to the VX5 for my ridgeline. 44 vs 42 mm. To me the LHT had much better turrets and I did like the turret. At least the idea of it. When holding it up in store the dot would disappear on me if not illuminated. The VX5 was clearer to me but the turrets weren't great. I dont plan to dial a ton so I went with the VX5 firedot reticle. Its very clear and bright enough to use in daylight if you want.

I honestly feel like I'm leaning more toward the Leupold for the most part, but the reviews on that Optika glass has me wondering. I've owned a older zeiss conquest that was great to. Not a lot of places have all of these scope and to be able to compare them, so that's why I'm asking for these real world experiences. I really appreciate it.

I would have to say the rzr as stated above. As I don't tend to lean towards light scopes as they tend to wash out to me when it gets darker.
I've used a lot of vortex stuff and they do not sit atop my best rifles but they have a great bang for buck and I love my rzr spotting scope. So I would lean that way.

But do yourself a service and call camera land and talk to Doug. Even if you don't buy it at that time he can steer you in a good direction and maybe give you more options. When spendi g that much take time and loot at as many options as possible

I understand that this forum is for "LONG RANGE" hunting but with the specifications you seek you need to reach a compromise. The reasons that some of the reticles are the way they are is so that at long distance you can adjust windage and elevation quickly incase you happen to miss and see the impact and than you just adjust with the scope without having to dial for the miss.

A hunting scope like what I use is never above 9X power and the max zoom I have used is about 7x at 369 yards, not long distance by some here but far enough for me. If you re-think your philosophy about scopes one for hunting and one for long distance target shooting you will see the benefit of using the right tool for the right job. The scope on the following link is what I think you are looking for and if you change your parameters and criteria for your scope you can find one that suits you and your price point.

Maybe you could include the max range you want to shoot?

Most of my hunting rifles are set up for 400-600 max range so dialing is a lower priority vs someone who wants to reach out farther, 800-1000+.

That being said, I really like the vx5hd, with the biggest downside being Leupold's reputation for tracking. Low light and general clarity are important to me, as is max magnification (after 50yrs, I need more magnification than I used to for reasons that are better served with a spotting scope).

I have one on a Kimber Montana 280ai ... the optika6 is too heavy for that rifle, IMO. So, weight is also important for a light carry rifle, again IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.