Help gun jammed with live round!

Domenic

I have a Model 70 300 win mag. I have never had it do this. I some rounds seem to go in a little harder than others but never jammed. I fired 3 3 shot groups and gave the barrel about 10 minutes between in the shade to cool. I then fired one round ejected it put another round in tried to close the action and it would not close completely nor will open. Does anyone have any experience with this? Please help

Get a piece of wood or something with some mass but not too hard. Whack the bolt open with it. If you tried to close it by hand this will open it. Of course keep the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times.

OK I am going to go try this up in the woods. I will be back to let you know how it went, thanks

Ok I got it out. I tapped on it with a piece of wood and it shut pretty easy but would not open or fire. Tapped it open with the wood the little metal extractor piece broke off. Does anyone have an idea what could of caused this? I have had some rounds load harder than others but never jammed like this. I measured all the parts of the case and were to specs. Any help would be greatly appreciated and who do I go to for repair? Do I call Winchester?

A gunsmith should be able to help you repair your bolt. Perhaps that piece that came out was loose and binding when you tried to close the bolt.

I wouldn't worry too much about your handloading techniques just yet. Get it fixed and have the gunsmith check the headspace while it is there. Bring a few of your handloads and if you have any factory rounds bring them so the gunsmith can check for function.

When this happens partially fill the barrel with oil put in a couple of real tight patches and push down with a rod.

This happened to us two times. One with a 7STW and the other a 300RUM. Both times debris (a piece of grass) got in between the cartridge and the bolt face. You wouldn't think something as minor as that would jam up a gun but it did.

My dad wacked his stuck bolt with a stick and broke the bolt handle off.

This happened to us two times. One with a 7STW and the other a 300RUM. Both times debris (a piece of grass) got in between the cartridge and the bolt face. You wouldn't think something as minor as that would jam up a gun but it did.

My dad wacked his stuck bolt with a stick and broke the bolt handle off.

rem 700 ?

A gunsmith should be able to help you repair your bolt. ... have the gunsmith check the headspace while it is there. Bring a few of your handloads and if you have any factory rounds bring them so the gunsmith can check for function.

Domenic -
IMO, of all the suggestions offered in this thread, that's the best one. There are times when trying to figure out what's wrong is best left to an expert. Guessing about why cases get stuck and trying "tricks" to fix the problem can prove deadly.

Finding an extractor is impossible! I have tried numrich, Winchester, brownells and others I can't remember and all sold out! The part is $5 on Winchester's site and if they had any I would be getting two but they are sold out even

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts