Help choice get a laminated stock color photos please

Gary Wiant

This is my second post on here and I'm not sure what the Red or OD Green socks statement is about, but hopefull this post is in the right location.

I'm having a custom rifle build in 6 dasher to smoke some longer range ground hogs, Fox & Coyote. I'm looking to purchase a Boyd's stock, either in varmint thumb hole or Pro Varmint, I'm just not sure if I want it in Coyote laminate (probably with black cerakote), Forest Camo (probably with a light greycerakote) or something else. If I could see some photos to help me decide I would appreciate it. You can either post photos here, post a link here or email them to me at [email protected]

Also I'm 6'7" 310 lbs. Do I'm not sure of a couple issues.
1. Will the hole in the thumb hole stock be big enough for my rather large hands?

2. Will I need to add an adjustable comb to the pro varmint or is the comb pretty high just as standard?

Thanks for the help

GW, A relative ordered a Boyd's thumbhole which in no way fit his huge hands. Exchanged for the Pro Varmint which worked well. I know he ordered with options, recoil pad, laser checkering and I think length of pull variation in the "nutmeg" color. Looks very nice. He wants to shoot it before bedding it. I've bedded quite a few Boyd's which all shot much more accurately when bedded. I personally am not a fan of many of the Boyd's colors with some a bit on the fu-fu side. Overall very strong stocks, lots of styles and shoot accurately when bedded.

Last edited:
I have medium sized hands and I may reshape the thumbhole a little. It's a bit long of a reach for my hands. My middle finger actually sits perfectly on the trigger. That's with a Boyd's laminate thumbhole for my Savage 110. They should also be pillar bedded. Fit was a little loose everywhere. I made it more loose, and put some pillars and devcon in there.

Thanks all, I've decided to purchase a Pro Varmint with adjustable comb, in the Forest Camo.

Being that this will go one the gun at the time of the build, so my gun smith will do the fit & finish including bedding.

I'm also going to have all the metal cerakoted in Satin Aluminum.

I had a tough time deciding between pepper, forest came, and nutmeg. Ended up going with nutmeg. They all look pretty good.

Yeah I know what you mean, I wanted a stock that was different than I already have and I already have a Nutmeg 17 HMR and a Pepper 17 WSM. I have a stock on my 10/22 that kinda has some green but nothing close to forest camo.

I love the look of laminated stocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.