Hello from Wyoming

Awesome. You really cannot go wrong if you study terminal ballistics on elk to antelope. There is always a compromise in anything. But 6.5 to 30 cal you will discover will get you there. I have 22 cals to 30 cals and never disappoint. If it were my choice, I like the progress of the 6.5's and the 7mm, particularly the 280AI. Just a choice I made for my last build.
6.5 is something I've never had. It is interesting

So this is just my opinion - I think the 6.5 bullets over perform, they kill better than they should. They have lots of heavy for caliber high BC, high sectional density options. Recoil is less than 270, 7mm and 30 cal in comparable cartridges.
And use less powder to get the performance. Better bullet choice than 270. I have most cals. 22 thru bigger mags. I shoot the 6.5' s the most.

6.5 prc or 6.5x284. I debated between the two and went with the PRC. Love it - shoot it for everything from coyotes to elk. Perfect combination of performance and recoil. 147 at 3000fps is a force to be reckoned with.

What is everyone's favorite 6.5 and why?
Thats kinda like asking who my favorite child is.
My first 6.5 is a sweedish engineer's carbine, handy little truck gun that has gotten a couple of antalope past 250yards with the millitary sites.
Have had 3 6.5x284s over the years but have yet to have one that worked for me.
Liked the sweede enough to buy a tikka lite in 6.5x55. This unit has done everything that has been asked of it and more!
The latest 6.5 is the 6.5 Grendel. Pickt up a cz527 that has dropped 4 antelope now past 400yards, have an ar upper that has yet to be finished but it should be a fun unit.
I started out with a 7mag wich is just a 264wm necked up, never owned a 264wm but will if I find one reasonable.
Everyone is singing the 6.5 creedmore song and the 6.5prc but they do little that can not be with another round.If your in the market for a new unit they may be worth a look.
Almost forgot, welcome from Casper WY

Last edited:
What is everyone's favorite 6.5 and why?
My favorite is the .264 win mag. 156 EOL's at 3100+ fps, over 1000 rds barrel life, very easy to load for, not quite as picky or as short a barrel life as 26 nosler, and plenty of whallop for anything up to and including moose or even big bear with the proper bullet choice.

I started with a 6.5 creed in 2010 and used it a lot including elk. I have a 6.5 Swede which I dearly love and know am having a 6.5 Sherman built. If I was to have one caliber it would be 6.5. I almost forgot had a brief stint with 6.5 Rem mag also

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.