Hello from LA

Speck

Hello guys and gals, just wanted to say hi from the deep south. I am mainly a deer hunter (whitetail) and do get after hogs also. I hunt LA and MS. I am wanting to get into long range shooting as I love to shoot. I am currently shooting a 308 TC Icon Precision Hunter during the rifle season but seriously considering a 6.5 X 47 build for target shooting and hunting. I also have a very accurate custom 35 Whelen that I use to hunt with in the primitive weapon season in MS. Well, thats about it folks, I just wanted to give a little info on what I've been doing with the fire sticks........:D

My Whelen is a single shot, 35 cal and larger (single shot) is legal in MS in the primitive weapon season. Its a stainless steel TC Encore frame with a custom SS Douglas bull barrel and a custom paradox black walnut stock and forearm. It was built by Bullberry Barrel Works for me, its a tack driver and a beautiful gun, i'm well satisfied. I have a Meopta Meopro 4 X 12 X 50mm scope on it. I've killed 7 deer with it so far and it definately puts the smack down on em..........:D

Yeah I hear ya, its not legal here in LA. either in primitive weapon season. 38 cal or bigger here is what the regs say. I like the Whelen so much i used it to hunt all season last year. Still haven't shot a hog with it yet but looking forward to it. I used the Barnes 180 gr. TTSX with good success on deer from all different angles through bone and lung shots both. All have been taken within 200 yards with it but 6 of the 7 have been bang flops and the other didn't go too far so its been pretty good and its very accurate.........:)

I just heard that LA went the way of MS. A single shot with a hammer shooting a bullet .35 caliber or greater is now legal for primitive weapons season. Perhaps not exactly primitive, but certainly an effective deer getter.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts