Hello from England

270Buck

I have used this site for a while and got some great info from it. I thought it was high time I registered.

Long range hunting in the UK is a bit of a contentious subject. I have no problems with it providing "the nut behind the but" is capable and the rifle, scope, round etc are all up to the job.

I am predominantly a hunter and shoot 100+ deer per year although I also do some target shooting on my range at one of the farms I shoot.

Some of these species I hunt in the UK are only legally able to be hunted here. Like the muntjac for example. I have recently uploaded a video to youtube of me shooting a muntjac buck. They are a small deer approx the size of a small Labrador. They are originally from Asia, they were kept in deer parks in England, over the years due to deliberate releases and escapees a very good wild population exists in most Southern parts of England. I am very fortunate to have some very good land that has stacks of muntjac on it
C:\Users\Ross\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

Both sexes, bucks and does can be hunted 365 days of the year.

Below is the link to my youtube video.

Below is a link to the British Deer Society website so you can learn more about the muntjac if you are interested.

Muntjac Deer

The other deer I mainly hunt is the roe deer, these can be found over most of the UK and mainland Europe. I have lots of land where I live locally where I can hunt these deer. In England the males (bucks) can be shot from April 1st until October 31st. The females (doe) can be shot from 1st November until 31st March. So I can hunt roe deer 365 days of the year. The seasons are slightly different in Scotland for roe deer but are nearly the same.

Roe Deer
I also have thousands of acres in Scotland where I can hunt roe deer, fallow deer, red deer, wild boar, feral goat.

I have the following rifles
17HMR Sako Quad
22LR Anschutz
243 Customised Remington 243 (Still waiting for this one to come back from the rifle smiths, but I have been told it won't be too long!!!)
270 Tikka T3 Lite with a Manners Stock
308 Weatherby Vanguard

I also have a number of shotguns in various gauges.
That's a bit about me.
I am hoping to make some friends elsewhere in the world that may be interested in hunting some of the unique animals the UK has to offer. I have done some swap hunts with friends in Germany and Holland.

Cheers

Buck

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used this site for a while and got some great info from it. I thought it was high time I registered.

Long range hunting in the UK is a bit of a contentious subject. I have no problems with it providing "the nut behind the but" is capable and the rifle, scope, round etc are all up to the job.

I am predominantly a hunter and shoot 100+ deer per year although I also do some target shooting on my range at one of the farms I shoot.

Some of these species I hunt in the UK are only legally able to be hunted here. Like the muntjac for example. I have recently uploaded a video to youtube of me shooting a muntjac buck. They are a small deer approx the size of a small Labrador. They are originally from Asia, they were kept in deer parks in England, over the years due to deliberate releases and escapees a very good wild population exists in most Southern parts of England. I am very fortunate to have some very good land that has stacks of muntjac on it

Both sexes, bucks and does can be hunted 365 days of the year.

Below is the link to my youtube video.

Muntjac Buck Shot with Tikka T3 Lite in 270 Winchester - YouTube

Below is a link to the British Deer Society website so you can learn more about the muntjac if you are interested.

Muntjac Deer

The other deer I mainly hunt is the roe deer, these can be found over most of the UK and mainland Europe. I have lots of land where I live locally where I can hunt these deer. In England the males (bucks) can be shot from April 1st until October 31st. The females (doe) can be shot from 1st November until 31st March. So I can hunt roe deer 365 days of the year. The seasons are slightly different in Scotland for roe deer but are nearly the same.

Roe Deer
I also have thousands of acres in Scotland where I can hunt roe deer, fallow deer, red deer, wild boar, feral goat.

I have the following rifles
17HMR Sako Quad
22LR Anschutz
243 Customised Remington 243 (Still waiting for this one to come back from the rifle smiths, but I have been told it won't be too long!!!)
270 Tikka T3 Lite with a Manners Stock
308 Weatherby Vanguard

I also have a number of shotguns in various gauges.
That's a bit about me.
I am hoping to make some friends elsewhere in the world that may be interested in hunting some of the unique animals the UK has to offer. I have done some swap hunts with friends in Germany and Holland.

Cheers

Buck

Welcome Buck. Nice Muntjac. I lived in Wimbledon for two yrs and hunted quite a lot of weekends either out by Ipswich or down by Crawley and Horsham. Never took a muntjac, saw a real nice buck one morning at daybreak through my binos (Swarovski) but could not see him through the scope (tasco) of the borrowed rifle at all. I did take several Roe deer, Red Stags and hinds and a few fallow. I should have gotten a really nice and large Sika Stag one day, but it was one of those hunting things. He was in thick brush and tall grass and feeding and when he raised his head, he burst to 40mph at the same time. Always wanted a Chinese Water buck and a Sika stag. I have lived in Colorado for sometime. I hunt elk and mule deer with a .340 or .300 Weatherby and antelope with a 25-06 or 264 Win Mag. I hunt Whitetail deer in Virginia every year with a .308. Too many others and handguns to list.

Welcome Buck. Nice Muntjac. I lived in Wimbledon for two yrs and hunted quite a lot of weekends either out by Ipswich or down by Crawley and Horsham. Never took a muntjac, saw a real nice buck one morning at daybreak through my binos (Swarovski) but could not see him through the scope (tasco) of the borrowed rifle at all. I did take several Roe deer, Red Stags and hinds and a few fallow. I should have gotten a really nice and large Sika Stag one day, but it was one of those hunting things. He was in thick brush and tall grass and feeding and when he raised his head, he burst to 40mph at the same time. Always wanted a Chinese Water buck and a Sika stag. I have lived in Colorado for sometime. I hunt elk and mule deer with a .340 or .300 Weatherby and antelope with a 25-06 or 264 Win Mag. I hunt Whitetail deer in Virginia every year with a .308. Too many others and handguns to list.

Sorry for the late reply, every forum works differently and I was not sure how to look if anyone had replied to my original post.

I have also hunted in the Ipswich area, there are a lot of muntjac out that way, I am surprised you didn't get a chance at one. My friend had some great land near Bury St Edmunds and it was PACKED with muntjac!!

Sika are very illusive and a hard animal to hunt, I have heard lots of similar stories like yours, IE sika stood there and just as you were getting ready for a shot it high tails out of there!! I am hoping to add a nice mature sika stag later this year to my trophy wall, I have had an invite from a friend in Ireland to come over for the sika rut. He came and shot a wonderful muntjac with me a few weeks ago.

My girlfriends auntie lived in Littleton for a number of years, strangely she has just moved back to the UK in the last 3 months. I was kind of hoping to visit her with my girlfriend and buy an over the counter tag for elk. I have always dreamt of taking a nice elk over the pond in the USA. Maybe one day!!!

Buck,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! I was stationed in RAF Lakenheath in Brandon 2000-2003 and tried to get information on any hunting but failed. The closest I ever got to them are those close calls on the roads :D:rolleyes::cool: during my work commute from my Methwold to the base before moving in base housing.

Very much enjoyed my tour and visited throughout the UK and EU. Hopefully, I get another opportunity, now as a civilian. :D

Cheers!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.