Heavy vs Light Long Range Rifle

Funny how this works Broz. Most of the time you do go way overboard ,however in this case you are close to being correct. I own 15 Accumarks everything from 257 to
( 3 ) 30/378,s and ( 4 ) 338/378,s . I also own a TRR 338/378 and out of the box weight is 10.25 lbs. Finished weight is 13.4m lbs. which is almost the same as my Savage 110 FCP 338 Lapua at 13 .3 lbs. In 45 + years I have owned 52 Weatherby rifles and MY NEW 300 TERRMARK FROM THE CUSTOM SHOP OUT OF THE BOX WEIGHT IS 7.92 LBS. WHICH IS LESS THAN THE ADVERTISED WEIGHT FROM WEATHERBY. In my opinion the best rifle and strongest action from a semi custom rifle company today.

Jay,
We build lightweight 7mm, 300 and 338FXs (full length Lapua imps) on trued Rem titanium actions with 28" barrels and carbon fiber stocks that come in under 8lb all up including the new March 3-24x52mm scope (23oz).

Holy Crap! Beautiful rifle! And to put in my 2 cents at the OP, your original rig is perfect. If its heavy get in some bicep curls, bench, and squat. That 22lbs will be nothing in no time, and to top it off youll have a beach body and feel better as well! :D Wildrose knows what I am talking about with lugging around heavy crap. In all seriousness has anyone mentioned the remington 700P or MLR? I THINK those are around 12lbs or so.

Holy Crap! Beautiful rifle! And to put in my 2 cents at the OP, your original rig is perfect. If its heavy get in some bicep curls, bench, and squat. That 22lbs will be nothing in no time, and to top it off youll have a beach body and feel better as well! :D Wildrose knows what I am talking about with lugging around heavy crap. In all seriousness has anyone mentioned the remington 700P or MLR? I THINK those are around 12lbs or so.
On my last visit to the doc I told him I was going to break out the old PT training manual and put myself through a few months of "Rifle PT".

He laughed and told me, "Great Idea".

Still work in progress but here's a walking rifle I'm building (inluding all the barrel work). I just don't walk very far with it. :)

Weatherby7mmRemMagLothar_zps71e8fd00.jpg

Weatherby Vanguard chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. 26" x 1.18" straight contour with 18x1mm muzzle thread. 14.5lbs as she sits in the picture.

We don't have mountains over here so it's more like a short hillside hike followed by lots of glassing. Horses for courses and all that. If I really need to walk, I'll whip out the Blaser R8. It's 3" shorter than a turn-bolt action anyway and even with a (fluted) match barrel, feels very maneuverable. Now this one is just for fun.

...And to put in my 2 cents at the OP, your original rig is perfect. If its heavy get in some bicep curls, bench, and squat. That 22lbs will be nothing in no time, and to top it off youll have a beach body and feel better as well! :D Wildrose knows what I am talking about with lugging around heavy crap...

<Laugh!> There was a time.., I used to load 100lbs sacks of grain from railroad cars into shipping containers, I could swing a 3 ft length of railroad track like it was a hammer.. but then I got older, took an office job, and turned to mush - so you're absolutely right - time reset my priorities - get in shape for hunting!!

..good advise for us all

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.