Heavy .30cal Berger bullets - Any chance of some?

Steve,

Your dead on there. Its not common in a sport that the main equipment leaves the accesary gear behind but in our sport, we are pushing the envelope with bullets, powders and also in ranging equipment that the public can afford.

Its a bold comment when you say that the moderns rifle ability will exceed the ranging ability of the Swarovski RF or any other sub $2000 range finder from what I have seen.

Course the more that get doing this, the more the companies will realize they can make money on us...... That is a good thing, gets us new toys.

Fascinating stuff indeed.

Kirby,
Thanks for sharing your expensive and hard-earned observations about the BSC%. It makes perfect sense that a bullet with a longer bearing surface would be more sensitive to how much of it's circumference is compressed than a short bearing surface.
Good luck with your new throat design, it sounds like a promising step towards squeezing a little more pep out of your speed demons!

-Bryan

Kirby and Bryan,

You guys don't think the added friction the extra velocity produced had anything to do with the inflight demise of the bullets ?

I forget where I read the test, but there was a similar situation I read about and the conclusion was the core was weakening / melting and that caused the jacket to fragment.

You can count me in on some Berger 230's for my 300 and 30-378 Wby's. My 300 loves the 210's

This is a very interesting thread, the range and amount of knowledge available on this site is amazing, and since I have a 7mm AM ordered I have a vested interest in all of this.

Kirby
A couple of questions, 1) have you tried the newer Berger thick jacketed bullets in the 7 AM, 6.5 AM, or the 30 AX at velocities above 3250 fps?
2) Which type of throat design are you using for you current 7 AM chambers?

Everyone
At the risk of having the guys a Berger slap me in the back of the head, has any one used the "Thick Jacket" Bergers on game, and if so what were the results.
Thanks
Dave

Everyone
At the risk of having the guys a Berger slap me in the back of the head, has any one used the "Thick Jacket" Bergers on game, and if so what were the results.
Thanks
Dave
I wanted to try some Bergers in my 7mm AM and when I contacted them about the two different jacket configurations they said they DID NOT recommend the heavy jacketed bullets for hunting.

"I wanted to try some Bergers in my 7mm AM and when I contacted them about the two different jacket configurations they said they DID NOT recommend the heavy jacketed bullets for hunting."

I know that, and Sierra does NOT recommend SMK's for hunting either, at standard velocities I agree, BUT at the velocities delivered by the 7 AM and other large magnums the SMK's perform very well, that is why I posed the question about the Thick Bergers.

Dave

The 300 grain 338 Cal SMK is awesome performer on even at a sedate 2791 FPS muzzle velocity. I took a 5X5 Bull Elk and a Buck this year with this combo and Sgt May used this round to take his Deer at 300 yards and thre results were dramatic

FiftyDriver,
I find your comments about the accuracy of Berger bullets being limited to below 3200-3300 fps interesting.
-Bryan

Bryan and Kirby,

I shoot Berger 210 VLD's out of my very well set up 30-378 Weatherby Accumark out of its standard Kreiger 26" barrel at 3250 fps with an ES in single digits.

This rifle has on several occasions put three bullets through the same hole at 100 yards and consistently shoots 1/8" to 1/4" groups depending on the weather.

I do not know if accuracy will fall off beyond this speed but thought you both might be interested in my results and findings.

By the way all of my 30-378 loaded cartridges are fired single shot however they will also fit inside the standard Weatherby magazine.

My two bob's worth here in all this.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.