Headspace problem

Huntz

I recently had McGowen make me shoulder fit barrel in 6.5X284 Norma.I screwed the barrel onto my Tikka T3x action.I did not strip my bolt down.The bolt will close partiallyon the Forester go gauge.Un fired Nosler Premium brass drops right in the chamber.If I unscrew the barrel 3MM the go gauge will work.I will never use factory loads,so does it really matter if the headspace is a little short?The barrel has not been torqued down.I actually measured the amount the barrel has to be backed off to make the go gauge fit and it is 3MM for a lose fitThanks ahead,Huntz

Last edited:
If I am understanding you, you mean you are rotating the bbl only a 3mm arc, not screwing the bbl out 3mm from the action.

If so, your brass fits with it screwed up tight so you'll be fine as long as your FL resize die can bump your shoulders that little extra bit

The only way you are going to be able to fix this so that a go gauge fits, Is getting a finish reamer and removing a couple of thou. However if factory brass fits, Then in your case I would shoot it. However, Sometimes tightening the barrel will be just enough to stop it from chambering, Tighten the barrel and check your brass again.

Circumference = 80 mm
Movement= 3 mm = .0375 of full revolution
Tenon thread pitch 16 tpi, .0625 x .0375= .0023

So, you're only a couple of thou short. You might be able to bump shoulders to that- maybe not; set up your press for hard cam-over to see if it works. Commercial dies are manufactured to tight tolerances so that some idiot doesn't oversize to a point of safety hazard. Factory ammo is usually (but not always) well undersized and may chamber. Post above (grinding/sanding die base) is one solution if needed.

If you've never lapped the lugs on the TIkka it might be a good opportunity for that- you may be able to obtain better lug contact and pick up the couple thou to get you to "go". Just be sure to keep checking to be sure you don't overhsoot.
Also, how much torque did you use with the action wrench? If you didn't use at least 60-75 ft lbs you could also pick it up this way.

Under no circumstances would I suggest you try to hand ream that chamber .002 deeper, the risk isn't worth it. If you overshoot, it will need to go to a gunsmith to be set back.

There's no problem with you leaving it where it is, provided you can get your shoulders bumped where you need it. If you decide to play with this more, headspace should always be checked with a stripped bolt, it's a matter of "feel". Lap the lugs until the bolt handle just barely falls on it's own (fully in battery)

Last edited:
Circumference = 80 mm
Movement= 3 mm = .0375 of full revolution
Tenon thread pitch 16 tpi, .0625 x .0375= .0023

So, you're only a couple of thou short. You might be able to bump shoulders to that- maybe not; set up your press for hard cam-over to see if it works. Commercial dies are manufactured to tight tolerances so that some idiot doesn't oversize to a point of safety hazard. Factory ammo is usually (but not always) well undersized and may chamber. Post above (grinding/sanding die base) is one solution if needed.

If you've never lapped the lugs on the TIkka it might be a good opportunity for that- you may be able to obtain better lug contact and pick up the couple thou to get you to "go". Just be sure to keep checking to be sure you don't overhsoot.
Also, how much torque did you use with the action wrench? If you didn't use at least 60-75 ft lbs you could also pick it up this way.

Under no circumstances would I suggest you try to hand ream that chamber .002 deeper, the risk isn't worth it. If you overshoot, it will need to go to a gunsmith to be set back.

There's no problem with you leaving it where it is, provided you can get your shoulders bumped where you need it.
People that buy short chambered barrels ream them by hand all the time, And they usually hand ream aprox 25 thou, I use a lathe because I own 2 of them and I used to work in a rifle building shop doing nothing but barrels all day, Not trying to argue with you but reaming 2 thou is not a big deal even to someone with little to no experience.

^^^
I stand by my opinion.
Yeah, I know short chambered barrels are hand-reamed all the time. There's still a risk in it- particularly without a reamer stop of some kind. It's much easier to start with the .025 you mentioned because you have a chance to develop the feel for what you're doing. For someone that's never done it before- two thou will disappear so fast it'll make their head spin. Given there's no reason the OP needs to do it, I see no reason to take the risk. JMO YMMV.

^^^
I stand by my opinion.
Yeah, I know short chambered barrels are hand-reamed all the time. There's still a risk in it- particularly without a reamer stop of some kind. It's much easier to start with the .025 you mentioned because you have a chance to develop the feel for what you're doing. For someone that's never done it before- two thou will disappear so fast it'll make their head spin. Given there's no reason the OP needs to do it, I see no reason to take the risk. JMO YMMV.
I agree with you about using it as is, since his brass fits, I would run with it. I hope it still fits for him after torquing it down.

I wouldn't touch it .002 too tight of headspace won't hurt you , as long as you can chamber the round . Like the above poster said , a good opportunity too lap the lugs if it's too tight . Another thing too keep in mind after firing a few hundred rounds it may set back some on it's own.