Having hell with my new 300win

Looking at the manufacture date on the rifle and it's only my opinion but the early 700s seemed to have better care in the smithing process. I had a new VSSF Swift ( and they usually shoot) that would not shoot and the only thing I found was lug contact was 100% on one lug and hardly a smudge on the other. I sent it back- they sent it back- I sold it.

Man I feel for ya. I built a custom 280ai and have been trying to work up a load for it the past 2-3 weeks. Without looking in my logs I can't tell you how many loads and seating depths I tried with ABLRs, Accubonds and ELD-Xs using H4831sc and IMR 7828 ssc. I finally got some Berger VLDH in and it proved to be a shooter with those... getting .36-.45 three shot groups. Yesterday I shot a .6 six shot group in about 90 seconds and took it out to 708 yards with good results, so it will make a hunting rifle for me now. I still need to take it to 1000, but it looks like it will do me fine. The ABLRs are starting to come around also. This is after 200 rounds fired! I did switch out my bag on my front adjustable rest also since it was very hard and kind of "wiggly". I will also add that my house I moved from I had built a nice range with a very good, stable bench in my back yard. At my new place I have resorted to shooting off a Wal Mart folding table and can actually see my crosshairs move with each heartbeat at 18x! I have to really, realy concentrate and have everything perfect when shooting off this thing. Sadly, I believe if I would have driven to the range with stable benches I could have had this task accomplished much earlier... but I HATE public ranges! 🥴
I was really pulling my hair out since I have a Bartlein barrel chambered by a top name smith, I bedded it in a Mesa Precision carbon stock, great trigger and Lone Peak action. I will say the chamber and barrel are the tightest of any 7mm/.284 I have worked with.
It likes very little jump, even with the Bergers at .004".
I would review your system... your stock/bedding, shooting table, rest, etc once you have ruled out optics and mounts.
The painful part nowadays is shooting all those rounds and knowing how hard componants are to come up with.
Good luck to you.
I have 2- 280 AI with Shilen Barrels that they chambered and installed, they both love 61 grains of H1000 with Nolser 160 gr AB bullets, good groups .75 and they have worked well on both mule deer and elk, close to long range they have preformed well.

I'm not spending 700+ on a rifle I haven't got to shoot anything yet
My guess of it has the Tupperware Rem stock you won't either.
I just " fixed" my nephews SPS Rem 22-250 that was having your same issues with a Boyds stock that I put pillars and bedded.
Here's the difference a stock and bedding will do to a factory gun.

Attachments

• 20220517_084431.jpg
    20220517_084431.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 57
I have 2- 280 AI with Shilen Barrels that they chambered and installed, they both love 61 grains of H1000 with Nolser 160 gr AB bullets, good groups .75 and they have worked well on both mule deer and elk, close to long range they have preformed well.
Shot some more 168 gr VLDH today. Getting 2943 fps at 1.5 gr under max with 7828. Have shot 100, 435, 625, 508 and 708 yds. I think I have my load. Looking good.

10/2020 production date 700 300win sps.
I've tried 165nbt, 168ablr, 180sgk, 180fed fusion, 155 (I think they are nos match they shot best). Have tried doing 3 shot ladder/ group test with 7828, 4831, 4451, re26.
I just floated the stock and changed out the new Burris veracity to make sure it's not the scope.
Everything is tourqed to spec.

anyone have recommendations for bullet to try. I'm going to run hammer bullets but want to try to get it to group before I start sending 1.25 pills down the pipe. Best group is 155 like 1.5moa. the rest is 2.5-3moa
Try 210 Berger VLD hunting bullets , with H1000 .

10/2020 production date 700 300win sps.
I've tried 165nbt, 168ablr, 180sgk, 180fed fusion, 155 (I think they are nos match they shot best). Have tried doing 3 shot ladder/ group test with 7828, 4831, 4451, re26.
I just floated the stock and changed out the new Burris veracity to make sure it's not the scope.
Everything is tourqed to spec.

anyone have recommendations for bullet to try. I'm going to run hammer bullets but want to try to get it to group before I start sending 1.25 pills down the pipe. Best group is 155 like 1.5moa. the rest is 2.5-3moa
My Browning loves the 180 Barnes TTSX, 1/2 inch groups normal. 4831 max load

I had a 700 5R 300 Win Mag back around 2009. It shot just ok most of the time. I remember thinking 6" groups @400 and change were pretty good for that rifle. I've had a few .300 Win Mags over the years, and by far the best of the bunch was my first one in a synthetic Howa circa 1991 if I remember correctly, though the gun was likely older, since I traded a guy even for a 7600 .243 (pump), the Magnum Research Mountain Eagle on a Sako action and Krieger barrel, and my current one - a Sauer 101. They just shot/shoot everything well. I gave the guy at the pawn shop the .243 and he gave me the black Howa. Great trade for him in value; great trade for me in experience gained.

The Sauer is just dead nuts accurate. It kicks among the worst of my .300s over time because it's basically an ultralight. The triggers on the Sauer and the Magnum Research are better than most Timneys.

A Savage Long Range Hunter was the worst .300 Win ever. 2 - 3" 100yd groups. Well, let me back up: a Sako 85 Bavarian was the WORST ever. The LRH was a very close 2nd. I've had several Long Range Hunters from Savage and most shoot lights out. Good luck and keep us posted

Since you say you are reloading the shells. Have you loaded and checked the primers in another rifle. Have you ran any loads with the problem rifle through a chronograph? Bad lot of primers could be problem.

If the rifle has a plastic stock. Lay the rifle on rest and back bag, Get in shooting position and have some one slide a piece of business card or paper under the barrel from fore end to action.

Good Luck finding the problem.