Have you ever emptied your weapon?

Iron Worker, to be short and quick about it since I don't want to hijack this post the 338 AX is Kirby Allen's 338 Allen Xpress. An improved version of 338 Lapua with a little more case capacity, fireformed and will reasonably push a 300 gr smk @ 2950 w/30" tube. You can do a search here on LRH on it. Here's Kirby's email as he doesn't have a website yet. Outstanding smith and great to work with.

[email protected]

Have you ever been hunting predators and pulled the trigger instead of squeezing it, got rattled because the shot was so close, forgot to chamber a round, forget to click off the safety...or just plain ole missed and get started shooting all the while thinking to yourself, "I ain't lettin' this one get away".

Have you ever emptied your weapon, in an attempt to kill a coyote?

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

was sitting on set, buddy had 3 decoy dogs, about 5 min in to calling the dogs spotted 2 coyotes running in full speed got em up to 50 yd i shot over the first dog he ran, the decoy dog went to get him brought him back i missed again, second coyote came back i pulled trigger and was out of ammo, dogs ran both coyotes out of the county. oh well it was fun watching the dogs.

Have you ever been hunting predators and pulled the trigger instead of squeezing it, got rattled because the shot was so close, forgot to chamber a round, forget to click off the safety...or just plain ole missed and get started shooting all the while thinking to yourself, "I ain't lettin' this one get away".

Have you ever emptied your weapon, in an attempt to kill a coyote?

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

All of the above, minus not chambering a round.

First coyote I ever shot at, my friend and I were walking into a spot and a dog jumped up at 40yds and hauled arse. He actually had a rabbit in his mouth which I thought was funny. I emptied my 7mm (4 shots) and my buddy fired 3 out of his .243, we didn't hit him. And, he never dropped his lunch. :rolleyes:

In 1975 as a teenager, I was hunting on my grandfather's wheat farm in eastern Washington State where the visibility is very extended and there is no cover to hide a coyote. I saw a coyote about 250 yards out. I had my 1903A3 Springfield with iron sights, in 30-06 with 5 rounds in the rifle and a couple of 5 round stripper clips. I started shooting and after my 15th round, the coyote was still in full afterburner mode. I came close with each shot and after several shots I was just enjoying the shooting and glad that I had not connected.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.