Has anybody HBN coated Barnes TTSX

65WSM

I have several boxes of 6.5 120 gr TTSX and TSX bullets on hand that I haven't touched in several years.

I just recently purchased a .35 Whelen and am eyeing the TTSX 200 gr bullets.

Has anyone coated the Barnes grooved bullets with HBN? Does it get into the grooves? Does it help the copper fouling? Does it affect the accuracy or velocity?

I have not been impressed with the 6.5 bullets ( 1 and 3/4 inch groups at 100) but worked up loads for a friend in Alaska. In his factory M70 in .375 H&H I would choose the 260gr Barnes TSX. I compared the Barnes TSX with Sierra, Swift A-frame and Hornady bullets and they all performed inside of a inch at 100 with a 6-24 X scope.

In the .375 H&H crimping for magazine length is an issue and the Barnes TSX crimps the best because the grooves are deepest. That way the rounds in the magazine do not grow in length and jam when a bear wants to eat you. My guess is that crimping will be an issue with the .35 Whelen. I will sling the rifle over my shoulder when fly fishing. We typically fly around in Alaska until we find a stream without bears in the riffles and fish. I hope I don't have to fire, no muzzle brake, short barrel, Williams peep sight. One of us will get hurt if I do fire.

I always hBN my TTSX.

No problems. I use a mix of 1/32 and 1/16 ss ball bearings.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.