Harrell's Precision Muzzle brake

kbb468

Harrell\'s Precision Muzzle brake

I came across a disscusion on another board talking about the Harrell's Precision Muzzle brake and I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience or use this brake?

harrell's muzzle_breaks

Thanks,

Re: Harrell\'s Precision Muzzle brake

Like Harrell says on the web page one is about a good as another until you do something really dumb like shoot prone from the bipod in dusty soil, like in rockchuck, PD, deer, elk and moose hunting especially here in ID since global warming took over./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Then you sure do wish there were no holes in the bottom of the brake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Especially if the wind is in your face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Just my 0.02$

I have two and good as anything else except low to ground dust. you can always throw cloth down first and go for it.

Cost is $30 vs up to $500 brakes that are a bunch of hype in my opinion. Many 1kb BR shooters are using them and we look for brakes that eliminate torque and recoil and no expense spared IF if really does it.

The Harrells work and are much cheaper.

BH

"one is about a good as another"

Yep, that is true about barrels and bullets too. That is why so many 1000 yard records are held by ruger factory barrels and speer bullets. Cheaper is always better if you are a ******. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sorry for the confusion Roy, I wasn't trying to quote you, just that cockamamie comment he wrote on his website. Perhaps it was a bit too tongue in cheek. You get what you pay for, and brakes are no different, that was my point. I'd like to see the brake that is made and installed for 30 dollars win a relay in a 1000 yard BR match. Some guys eyes are brown for all the wrong reasons. Your point about holes all the way around is well stated. These guys that build one brake design for all cartridge sizes and say they have the perfect brake for your gun because they have changed the thread pitch and diameter to fit your barrel are cracking me up. That like a car salesman selling the guy that lives in Alaska who needs a 1 ton truck a Yugo instead because it has snow tires on it and he lives in a cold climate. We have a Smith at our range that built a recoil sled and tested a bunch of different brake designs, filmed them with a high speed shutter and had a tell tale on the sled rail. Let me say right here, there are major differences in brakes from one design to another both in recoil reduction and torque. Anyone who claims any different has not seen the sled in action, or they are just ignorant of the truth. I guess one who claimed there were no differences in brake designs would have a lot of explaining to do in reference to the Rule book for 1000 yard comps which limits ports to 90 degrees from the boreline? Of course we won't accept the muzzle blast alibi because you still feel the full force of that even with the 90 degree ports.....

I am not familiar with these brakes but I read about them first on BR.com in the 1k forum. Rich De I believe has been quite successful @ 1k and from what he says it is the brake he uses. Also, I don't think they are charging $30 for brake and installation, but rather $30 for the brake itself.
FWIW I can't see how all brakes are the same myself either, but I am at least curious about the Harrell now.

Hey Grizzz - Do you have any contact info on the smith you were refering to on the sled testing?

His name is Larry, and he is a former Hunter Benchrest National Champion. I will see if I can find out where he moved to. Used to be in Union Mo.

Grizzz,

Thanks for the explanation. Now I know where you are coming from. There is nothing like a good testing to show the differences.

I have a Holland QD installed on my 338 Win. Only brake I've ever had. Really like it. Accuracy did not get any better and didn't get any worse. But consistency sure did improve.

This is the first setup that I shoot one-shot groups for doing things like drop chart development.

Shot one shot w/out ear protection /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif set the ol' ears aringin' ouch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Was shooting from the bipod laying in good old blow sand. No dust at all. But there was a bunch of dust for the first couple of shoots from the sage brush. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
"one is about a good as another"

Yep, that is true about barrels and bullets too. That is why so many 1000 yard records are held by ruger factory barrels and speer bullets. Cheaper is always better if you are a ******. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehehe!! Once upon a time Bill Ruger and Company made up some "so-called" Palma Rifles for the US Palma Team when we were in Raton training and the **** things wouldn't shoot worth a shxt!! You'd a been safe sitting on the crapper at 1000 yds. cause it would have been **** difficult to hit an outhouse that distance with one of 'em!!

Yep....cheaper is better!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts