Handloads not chambering smoothly

I couldn't get cases to chamber w/o sizing down to that. I thought it was a lol much myself but I kept going down in very small increments until chambering. It wasn't until I got close to this til they started chambering (not smoothly though) then just a little after this the bolt started closing smoothly. That's the reason I asked about those previously shot maybe being too hot and causing stretching in other areas that wouldn't be touched by the die unless sized down to this?? Do u know what I mean?

I understand what you described. Did you try covering the case with a sharpie and running it into the rifle's chamber to see where it was tight? Bet it is tight just in front of the belt. (happened to me) Let us know.

I couldn't get cases to chamber w/o sizing down to that. I thought it was a lol much myself but I kept going down in very small increments until chambering. It wasn't until I got close to this til they started chambering (not smoothly though) then just a little after this the bolt started closing smoothly. That's the reason I asked about those previously shot maybe being too hot and causing stretching in other areas that wouldn't be touched by the die unless sized down to this?? Do u know what I mean?

Are you saying that full length resizing and all is hunky dory?

Have you measured the cases that will chamber smoothly immediately above the belt and compared this measurement to the cases that will not chamber smoothly. The SAAMI specification for this measurement is 0.513 inches. Use the thin part of the blade on your caliper to make this measurement. Full length sizing dies will not resize this portion on belted cases. The Willis die will reduce this area.

I had this problem with 7mm Remington Magnum cases and 300 Weatherby magnum brass. The Willis die solved the problem.

Bob Snell

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.