Handloading for the TC encore

CPerkins

Anyone have any tips? I loaded for it my 25-06 for the 1st time last week. Everything shot horrible. I had been using a Winchester 120 Positive Expanding Point. They shot between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch routinely. Until I tried these loads the gun had never shot a 3 shot 100 yards group over 1". The average group with the handloads was 2"! I have been reloading for while and there must be something I am over looking. I prepped the brass by sorting by weight +/- 0.1 gr. Bullets were sorted by weight +/- .05 gr. (used a jewers scale that can go up to 150 gr. Powder =/- .0 gr. I loaded 6 rounds of 6 different loads and sorted each by weight. Final loads were sorted in groups with +/- .2 gr.
Do you think that I just chose loads that the gun did not like, or is there something that I missed?
Thanks

Brass

Tell me about your brass. New, once fired, sized, FL, NS???

How much gap between your barrel and boltface??? Any misfires??? Compare length to shoulder on fired vs. unfired brass.

Every time I have a problem getting an Encore to shoot it is usually head space related. Tom.

The brass is new, neck sized remington brass. No problems with misfires. I'll look at the shoulder when I get home. As far as a gap between the barrel and the boltface, I have never really looked for that to be honest with you. I haven't noticed a gap. The hinge pin is tight. It takes a few taps on a wooden dowel from a rubber hammer to get it to go in. What am I going to look for in relation to this gap.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.