Handload Accuracy

Jim Hundley

I have a load that is a consistant 1/2" shooter at 100 yds.It consists of the 168TSX from a .300 Win.mag. with H-1000.I tried it today at 200 yds.with terrible results.Three shot groups were 1 1/2" to 2 1/4".My question is can a good 100 yd.load be a "dog" at the longer ranges?Of course it could be me since I went to a 10x from a 14xAO scope.I was also using 100yd. targets at 200 yds.and could not clearly see where I was holding.Any thoughts?Advice would be appreciated-I am really flusterd at this point!!!
Thank you,
Jimmy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jimmy ,

Did you shoot at 100 yds the same day? Were these the same batch of loads that you spoke of that gave such good accuracy ? What were the atmospheric conditions ? wind , temp , humidity etc. as compared to your base line .
After asking all those questions I must say that if your groups were that good at 100 then they should be a lot better at 200 than you have described

With 52 gr SMK in my .22-250 in the course of about 1 hour I shot a 0.333" group at 100 yds, 3+" at 200m and 4" at 500m. All were 5 shot groups. My Model 7 300 SAUM shoots the same group size consistantly at 200 and 300m. Every group shot at both ranges has been within 0.2" of each other, and the 300m group is normally tighter.

My opinion is that I focus better on mechanics at longer ranges because any mistake is magnified by distance. I have been fighting that line of thought, and two weeks ago shot my best to date group at 500m of 2.2" with a factory Sendero in 300 SAUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.