Handgun or rifle scope?

Discussion in 'Specialty Handgun Hunting' started by Len Backus, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Who is using a rifle scope and why?

2. yotefever

yotefever Well-Known Member

It's easier to find your target and you can get more power with the rifle scope. I always use Lupy's with their longer eye relief. I know Ernie will not get a full picture in his scopes that have more recoil.
    If you have one laying around try it with the 260, but it's getting close to season opener. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I never did try a rifle scope with that gun. Make sure you're wearing shooting glasses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    I was out coyote hunting this weekend and used my Contender in 17 Rem. with a 6.5x20 on it, not much recoil with that guy. It's much more comfortable to shoot with sticks too.

3. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

Higher quality optics & reticles, more magnification, more MOA adjustments.
    Down side: Danger of getting smacked in the face if you are not constantly aware of what you are doing, especially with cartridges in the 308 class on up to what I am currently using (7mm Dakota).
    FWIW with the 200+ rounds with the 7 Dakota XP all rounds have been fired on 25x.
    Most hunting situations would not require going to a rifle scope. It also makes you change up your hold compared to using a LER scope.
    You may want to give both ways a good try before you settle on one way. I currently use both.
    Hands down fav in the LER scopes is the Burris 3-12 LER with BP reticle with at least one target turret on the elev.

4. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Higher quality optics & reticles, more magnification, more MOA adjustments.
    Down side: Danger of getting smacked in the face if you are not constantly aware of what you are doing, especially with cartridges in the 308 class on up to what I am currently using (7mm Dakota).
    FWIW with the 200+ rounds with the 7 Dakota XP all rounds have been fired on 25x.
    Most hunting situations would not require going to a rifle scope. It also makes you change up your hold compared to using a LER scope.
    You may want to give both ways a good try before you settle on one way. I currently use both.
    Hands down fav in the LER scopes is the Burris 3-12 LER with BP reticle with at least one target turret on the elev.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree 100% with xphunter. I used to have an old 2.5x7 LER Burris ,it was huge and very heavy but had the best eye relief of any LER scope I have ever owned, been kickin myself in the butt for years for selling it and have never seen another like it since.
    UB

5. dbhostler

dbhostler Well-Known Member

Always LER scopes on handguns.....unless your arms are 12 inches long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have several of the older Burris scopes, a 10X works well for long range shooting.
    db

6. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

Sounds like these guys have it all covered Len. 1 of the disadvantages to the big Burris is the eye relief. It may be just right for the IHMSA guys, but from prone off a bipod, i know even big long-armed guys that have problems with trying to get it far enuf away-- ESPECIALLY when trying to shoot marmots at a high angle.

7. Tom Brush

Tom Brush Well-Known Member

I have used both rifle and LER scopes on my handguns for long range. I have knocked my glasses off several times with a 12X Leupold rifle scope. I prefer my Burris scopes. I have a 7X target scope and a 3X9 variable. I use MOA's in 6BR, 7BR and .250 Savage, XP100 in 6BR and Contender in .223. I shot my first prairie dog at 250 yds. with the .223.

Tom

8. Ray Prager

Ray Prager Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

These guys have great experience , and give great advice ... My only comment ,is that you can't hit what you can't see....
    Ray