hand rub oil finsih for rifle stock

dbhunter

Need help on what finish to use on a walnut stock. I want a hand rub low luster matte finish. I have tried Tru-oil in the past with bad results.

GO to shooter solutions and get Arrow wood finish great stuff and Easy to do
I did two guns with it
retiredcpo

Man...I've done about 7 rifle stocks and 10 of my bows with Tru Oil and have had awesome results... if you are interested in the process let me know. Its not hard...

Thanks for the info. I am looking for that custom hand rub oil finish. I have a Gunstock Inc. Handi-rifle roll over check piece in walnut coming for my 45-70 Buffalo rifle coming. Want to give it a classic hand rub oil finsh. Not for sure about the stain or to leave it plain.
Any advice is appreciated.

Get the stock all prepped, sanded that is. Stain it and let sit for a couple hours and then rub off the excess. Did I say slobber the stain on. :) Yes. Once you have whatever excess there is rubbed off and the finish is pretty much an overall color then you take some boiled linseed oil and mix it half and half with mineral spirits. Slobber this mix all over the stock. Wait another couple hours and wipe off the excess and then rub it down with 0000 steel wool till its nice and smooth. Repeat that whole process again. Then put on the third coat and leave sit overnight and steel wool it off the next day. The take some of the Linseed oil and put a small amount on the palm of your hand and start rubbing it in. Rub it till your hand becomes hot from rubbing. Careful so you don't get blisters, I have done that. If you need to you can put more on the palm of your hand but this should be a very small amount each time. Let it sit overnight to dry. The next day you can steel wool it off again and start over with a very small amount on your palm. I would take my palm and put it over the mouth of the can and tip it upside down and turn it back over. The amount you have on your palm is the right amount then.
I repeat this for about a week. Put it on, Steel wool it off. After a week you will notice the finish starting to build up to a very think finish. Once you have reached that point your done with the large part of the job. After that I would about once or twice a year steel wool it off and then give it a very light coat. Keeps it looking good for years and make most of the small scratches from hunting go away till the next season. Give you something to do in the winter when you get bored. :) This is the method I used for years custom building traditional muzzle loaders and refinishing old SXS's. Not the most water proof in the world but still does a great job and looks great if taken care of every year.

Need help on what finish to use on a walnut stock. I want a hand rub low luster matte finish. I have tried Tru-oil in the past with bad results.

I've had pretty good results with premium grade tung oil. Use something soft like a diaper to rub it in, in a circular motion. Takes five or six coats to really start to see results. And ten or twelve coats will make your buddies drool! But the best oil is the stuff Purdy uses on their shotguns a double rifles. Where you buy it I don't know, but trust me it's the very best on this planet. Like you, I hate True Oil!
gary

Tru oil and Tung oil have better waterproofing but I like the looks of the older linseed oil finish better. Not as glossy. I spent 20 some years building traditional ML's and used the same method that was used in the past to do the finishes and grew to love the looks of those finishes. Nice soft warm glow to them rather than the glossy look. Something I forgot to add is when I redo the finish each year I would rub it down pretty good with 0000 steel wool prior to doing the finish over again. It prevents the slobbery look of way too much finish. That looks bad no matter what finish you use.

What I've done on my personal longbow and may do on a stock... I actually spray it with my conversion varnish... THEN I do the whole tru-oil procedure over that... Incredibly protective, easy to maintain and beautiful!

Thanks for the reply's. I have been surf the net some and seen some good reviews on Pilkington Classic Gunstock Finish. Has anyone used this one and seen it in the red/brown tint ?

I have been refinishing stocks for 50 years [since I was 10].

This year I am rubbing in mineral oil and rubbing bee's wax on top of that.

I am happy with the looks and water resistance of many finishes.

I have switched to this one to keep the scent down.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.