Hammer bullets

Tell us the story!!
I got involuntary entered in a tough man contest 35 or so ago, I'm still not sure how it even happened as I was a spectator and I had Bib Overall's on and that's how i got in the ring, I have no idea why but the crowd started chanting ButterBean and the name has stuck with me ever since, I've got friends that don't even know my real name, anyway that's a picture of Namesake, By the way I did held my own until I got disqualified

In the 6.5-284 we loaded one this summer with H100V and lapua brass to 3240 fps. It was a top end load for sure. I pm'd the load info.

H1000 could make a great load too. I am sure you will not run into pressure issues with H1000.

My results with Hammer bullets. 100yds velocity/pressure test. 110 and 124 HH.

Looks like node at 39.5-40grs. Will load a few and test again.

B5zqgrk.jpg

Forgot to keep track of where each charge landed...there's a tight cluster there

5ldbIKH.jpg

I think this is the thread that I had mentioned that we are working on a new bullet.

Well we tested today. We have a winner!!! We shot at 1008y today. What we saw from todays data is that the Absolute Hammer is running the same form factor as the Hammer Hunter. We were hoping that we were seeing a bit of an increase in bc, but I don't think so. I am fine with that since we are seeing huge increases in vel. We have yet to see how hard we can push these. We have not loaded to max pressure yet. Our 27" barrel 280ai is running this 148g Absolute Hammer at 3370 fps with no signs of pressure. As we develop the line we will start playing with how hard we can push them. The highest vel that Hodgdon shows for a 150g bullet is 2950 fps. We are running Peterson brass, so there could be some vel gain there. We did see about 300 fps increase in vel with the 22 cal that we tested too.

So the bc that I come up with for todays data is .228 g7 at 1008y. We should have shot it at 700y. I am thinking the bc is probably a bit better with more vel. Impact vel at 1008y is 1730 fps. BC will drop as vel drops.

The ogive on this bullet is a standard secant. None of our weird ideas out ran it. The 1st version multi radius ogive ran very close but not quite. We will move forward with the Absolute Hammer line with the standard secant and tangent ovives. We will continue to play with diff designs as we dream them up. Eventually we will find one that is working better.

So I ran the numbers on the Berger ( just because it was the 1st one on your list). I ran it with the same atmosphere that we shot in this morning. Used 3100 fps for the Berger. That is the fastest vel that Nosler data shows for a 150g bullet in a 280ai. I compared it to the bullet data that we shot today but with a vel of 3450 fps. I think we will get higher than that, but that should be easy to get. At 1000y this is how it shakes out. The Berger will have 21.6 moa of drop and 5.7 moa of drift in a full value 10 mph wind, and impact vel of 1703 fps. The Absolute Hammer will have a 18 moa drop, a 5.6 moa drift and, and an impact vel of 1801 fps.

So I ran the numbers on the Berger ( just because it was the 1st one on your list). I ran it with the same atmosphere that we shot in this morning. Used 3100 fps for the Berger. That is the fastest vel that Nosler data shows for a 150g bullet in a 280ai. I compared it to the bullet data that we shot today but with a vel of 3450 fps. I think we will get higher than that, but that should be easy to get. At 1000y this is how it shakes out. The Berger will have 21.6 moa of drop and 5.7 moa of drift in a full value 10 mph wind, and impact vel of 1703 fps. The Absolute Hammer will have a 18 moa drop, a 5.6 moa drift and, and an impact vel of 1801 fps.
Enjoy the absolutely nuclear load with the Absolute Hammer and compare it to a hot but not nuclear Berger load. Yep makes a lot of sense. Too bad that 280 AI (~65 grains water capacity) shoots faster than my 280 ai, or my 26" 7wsm (74 grains water capacity). Slice it and dice it however it fits I suppose.

Recent Posts