HAMMER 7MM 143 VS 177 FOR ELK

I run the 143 and the 177 in my 7 STW. They both shoot tiny little groups. I purposely put a 1:8 twist 26" Carbon Six barrel on so I could shoot the 177. I've got a mild load just under 3100 fps with the 177 and a titch over 3500 for the 143. I'm limited to a max COAL of 3.700 for my Mag, so the 177 (which is very long) is seated deep in the case, otherwise I'm sure I could get a whole lot more out of it. I'm using RL26 for both bullets. I've only killed a south Texas cull buck on a friends ranch with it. Performance was spectacular, as always with Hammers. Buck dropped and vitals were destroyed. I know from a post awhile back, a member on here shot a cow elk around 800 yards with the 143 and his 7 RUM. She dropped and total vital devastation.
I'm now using the 143's in my 280 AI.

I just bought a 28 nosler from a member here and that load is 143 hh at 3700 looking at the numbers it will hammer elk near and far. The groups look great waiting for the rifle to get here to see what it does at my elevation but I don't plan on running anything heavier. For me it would come down to bc and distance if shots are consistently over 500 and the wind is know to be pretty rough then I may look at the higher bc of the 177 but at the end wind calls come down to shooting in it. Just my thoughts.

I'm curious as well what powder for the 177 Hammer. Just rebarreled my 28 but not sure on the speed I'll get as I went with a 24" barrel but mainly run mine suppressed.

On hammers website there are some loads posted on the forum I haven't looked for the 28 yet but it may be in there.

No wrong answer here. Personal preference kinda rules the day. I would lean toward the 169g Hammer Hunter in the 8" twist just to ensure that the stability stays high. For the heavier option that is. I very much like the very flat shooting ability of the 143g Hammer Hunter in the 28n out to 600y. Very tough to beat.

Morning guys.

Getting ready to start load development for my new 28 nosler. Since its a barrel burner i would like to get the bullet right the first time.

I spoke w/ hammer bullets and they reccomend 143 for elk. But i am more of a heavy bullet kinda guy. My barrel (proof 1:8) can support either. And the chamber is made to accept up to berger 195's.

Pros and cons? Energy vs velocity? Wind affects? I have read on here people having success with the 143,s but not much on the 177's.

Appreciate any help!
I would follow Steve's lead. He knows what he is taking about. He has given me great insight on a couple of different rifle cartridges.

I use the 169 hammer Hunter in a 28 Nosler. It worked well, I used it on a bison last year. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 169 on elk.

Out of your 7stw, both weights will easily kill elk. For a bigger boy, I'd use the bigger bullet. Gotta love monos. I'm seeing about 2x expansion on those I've recovered.

Thank you very much for the insight here. I am leaning towards the 169 or 177. As long as the 177 shoots i think ill stick with that. It could very well be used on bear as well.

Would welcome any load info as well. Planning on h1000 as i cant seem to find enough retumbo.

As far as technology vs skilled hunting. Lol. It doesnt need to conflict. They go hand in hand. I harvest plenty of animals every year. Im also sure that those sharing helpful and RELEVANT information on here find the same success.

Thanks a lot guys keep it coming

N570, RL33, N565, RL26, Retumbo
These are all great options. We have seen significant increase in vel with N570 in the 28n. H1000 should also work well. Does not always produce as much vel but almost always results in a good load.

Yes we have the 155g Hammer Hunter. We have seen this run close to 3500 fps in the 28n.

Has anyone had stability problems with the 177's in proof 1:8? If not i am going that direction as the bc is higher than the lighter counterparts.

Also. Any discounts offered for LRH members?

Dude get back on your meds, your completely incoherent!!
Now you've gone from 140 cup and core bullets in a 7 mag to 160+ in a STW to a 175 in a 7x57, what does that have to do with a 28 Nosler and 143 and 177 Hammer bullets.
I know your desperate to be relevant and bully your way through the forum but at least kinda stay with the subject even if you don't know anything about it!!

I'll try an make it VERY simple for you.

1. The expansion of a bullet is dependent on many things. One of those things is velocity.
2. Any quality cup and core 7mm bullet from 140 to 175 grains will perform very well from 2000-2800 fps.
3. All the "super 7s" mentioned on this site will be in that performance envelope at 500 yards.
4. Therefore: a quality cup and core AT THAT RANGE would kill anything as well as any super bullet if the shooter makes a good heart/lungs shot.

If you wish to test that, put a Ballistic gel block out there @500 and shoot it with your "hammer of Thor" 7mm.

AS to the OPs question, there is no reason to think either of those bullets would not work fine.

As for being a bully --- you're the one trying to silence any alternative opinions. Calling names is childish, behavior that no member of this forum would engage in FTF.

Betcha far more Elk have been killed with cup and cores at 500 yards than all the premium bullets in the world.

Do have a nice day.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.