• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED H870 or H1000 Loads for 65x284 ?

I'd have to agree with Michael, I have three 6.5X284's all seem to perform best with H4831SC, as stated the Retumbo pushes the speed 100-150 fps but @ 300 yds my groups double in size over the H4831SC I haven't found good performance in any of my 6.5 with the H-1000 but my 280 Ackley and my Rum 300 love's it. I too seem to get the best results with 9 1/2 Remington's but also have good results with WLR's

I had a lot of pressure problems with a 243 recently going even .010 off the lands. Do you guys not have any problems going that close?

Also I was reading on the 6mm site about Preferred Neck Diameter, turning necks and neck clearence from .002 to .004.

Thats something a little out of the range of my equipment and complete understanding i,e, how to measure and guage your chamber and such. Is this something relly necessary? If so what specifally?

BTW I really appreciate everyones imput and thoughts.

What is the neck diameter or your chamber? Most SAAMI specked chambers give you roughly .004 clearance from your loaded round.

You shouldn't have any excess pressure unless you are jammed into the lands or jumping a considerable distance.

The 6.5x284 isn't finicky. Load them .002 off and work up to the charges that I gave you.

If you start seeing pressure signs stop......simple

The difference I believe in neck size is because of the slight difference in the Norma and Winchester spec's for the 6.5x284. I've turned the brass using 284's necked down but can't see any difference using Lapua brass. Lapua is pretty uniform. Most guy's push 140 VLD's to the limit because of the VLD's design. The bullet creates a concentricity issue loaded in in most cases unless you use a proper seating die. Tight to the lands helps correct crocked bullets. (OR SO I'M TOLD)

If you have a 28" or longer barrel there is no need to turn your 6.5x284 into a 260rem by using H4350 or H4831. Ramshot Magnum, Magpro, or Imr7828 do really well with CCI250s and H1000 and Retumbo do great at the upper pressure limits with 215Ms. Why run with the 260s when you can run with the 264wms.

If you have a 28" or longer barrel there is no need to turn your 6.5x284 into a 260rem by using H4350 or H4831. Ramshot Magnum, Magpro, or Imr7828 do really well with CCI250s and H1000 and Retumbo do great at the upper pressure limits with 215Ms. Why run with the 260s when you can run with the 264wms.

There is an accuracy node at 2850. Many rifles cant reach the upper node without running pressure and ruining brass.

The 260 is hard to beat, especially with Lapua now making brass. I rarely shoot my 6.5x284 now that I have a 6.5x47....Im running the 130s at 2960ish and its a dream

I have 2 buddies that shoot the 6.5x47 with 130s and they love it, when we go to matches they are always like hey I only held .8 or 1.2 mils for that wind gust, they are like what did you hold, when I say dead on they look at me dumbfounded, but when you put 59grns of retumbo under a 140 hybrid jammed .010" and light it off in a 30" barrel it comes out at 3186 with a 9 ft spread, just a very tiny advantage.:rolleyes:

Tested the first loads yesterday 140vld's .020 off the lands over 4831 - 49.5 , 51. & 52.5 the 49.5 averaging only 2724 had the best groups but all had ES over 100. Tried Rem 9 1/2 and Fed 210, I had cleaned the gun before going out. I shot 6 foul shots before starting. All groups were over 1 inch starting with the 49.5 (two groups each primer) both 4 shots with 2 touching and 1 at about 1/2 inch and one over one inch. The rest got bigger as I went. with the 52.5 being 1 1/2" plus and avg of 2910 and starting to show a little exractor marks. I allowed cool down time with each. BTW the gun is a savage 111 with 26 onch barrell and 8 twist. Wind was 5mph and 75 degrees. Not sure what is wrong but was not what I was hoping for.

Both of my 6.5x284's shoot both H4831sc and Retumbo, with a 100 FPS advantage with Retumbo out of my 24/26" barrels using both Berger and JLK 140 VLD's. Both of my rifles have an accuracy and ES sweet spot .075" off the lands, and give best results with 210M primers but at the cost if 3O-40FPS over the 215's. My standard is 6" groups or less at 1000 yards for hunting accuracy, and 1000FP which gives the advantage to my Retumbo(57.5gr) load at 2970FPS.

If you're getting large extreme spreads you're doing something wrong. Could be a bad chrony or improper set up, inconsistent neck tension, an inconsistent powder scale or a combination of these.

Some rifles just will not tolerate VLD jump. Yours may just be the case. Try the 140 Amax. They can be sensitive but not nearly as sensitive. Also look at the 142smk for accuracy. You may still have to play with seating depths with all of them but don't let one test session discourage you. It takes time.

Here is some good info on getting the Berger VLDs to shoot

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a target competition shooter who does not worry about jamming a bullet:

.010 into (touching) the lands (jam) 6 rounds
.040 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
.080 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
.120 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter (pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:

.010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
.050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
.090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
.130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Shoot 2 (separate) 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL towards or away from the lands .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well (even at 100 yards).

Regards,
Eric Stecker
MasterBulletsmith

I would try some bullets that are less sensitive to seating depth as stated in the previous post. Get some SMKs and Amax.

That being said 100 FPS spread is too much and something is wrong. Was this with fireformed brass? As stated before neck tension can do this. Trim and chamfer your brass, clean the inside of the necks with a brush and clean the outside with a little steel wool. Use a good quality lube sparingly and this should get you some consistent tension on those necks.

Make sure that your Chrony is set up at least 10 ft away from the muzzle...sunshades installed.

Every gun that I have seen loves the load that you are shooting.....something isn't right

Well all I will say is opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one, mine is with .020" jump and 49.5grns of 4831, likely short cut, your charge density is crap at less than 85% and the bullets aren't jammed on even touching so you're getting inconsistant start pressures, probably 10-12k psi, on top of that if your loaded round runout is more than .003" that just adds on to the enormous stack of **** you're dealing with as the bullets are being released at various angles. With atleast .002" neck tension you should never pull a bullet out of the case that is only .010" in the lands, now .040 or .050", that's different. Its going to be hard to get the midrange node with the 24" barrel of the 111lrh, but Greyfox, I believe has the same rifle and does get the node between 2930 and 2970, you must have a 26-28" barrel to get the one at 3040-3070, and a 30-31" to get the top end at 3160-3190. Yeah brass life is only about 7 firings but that's typically half your barrel life with 100 cases so its not that bad. I am a firm believer in the fuller you can get the case the more consistant the round is, with my first 6.5x284 I was on the wagon with everyone else, saying how well Imr4350, H4350, H4831, N160, etc... worked in that particular case, now I don't use anything faster than 7828ssc. 57grns of H1000 with a 215 primer and a Berger touching will also do well. Good luck.