H4350 Extreme Powder

Waynzee

Hi fellas, I was just looking at Hodgdon's web site and they claim that their H4350 powder only varies by 4 fps in 0 to 125 degree temps. in the 30/06. Any body have experience with this powder? I've always used IMR4350 and as of lately Reloader 17 but I don't think they are that temp. insensitive.

Hi fellas, I was just looking at Hodgdon's web site and they claim that their H4350 powder only varies by 4 fps in 0 to 125 degree temps. in the 30/06. Any body have experience with this powder? I've always used IMR4350 and as of lately Reloader 17 but I don't think they are that temp. insensitive.

IMO, The best powder made today for stability is H4350. I use it in every gun that I can build accurate load in. My 3 mainstays are H4350, H4831sc & H1000. Looks like the new Enduron powders like IMR4451 gonna be right there also.

Read here: Rick Jensen Temp-Tests New IMR 4451 « Daily Bulletin

Last edited:
All of the Extreme powders work well in temps. That being said as marka mentioned the new enduron powders also work well. Also, look at the new RL powders. RL26 in my 7rsaum is awesome. I have never seen a powder that was no predictable in load work up - very linear pressure wise.

Drinking the Hodgdon Koolaid, eh?
Temp stability depends on the load as much as the powder. I've seen h4895 swing over 100 fps in my 25wssm with 100grain sierra pills. I've seen my 300rum with rl33 or rl50 stay within 20 fps from summer to winter with 225 grain hornady pills.
The primer has some effect here, as well as your rifle, load pressure, etc. You may have better luck with Hodgdon as far as temp. stability or you may not; you need to prove your combination to be sure.

Lefty7, I was drinking some Busch beers, koolaid rust the throat pipes, haha. Anyway, yep that makes sense as always trial and error with reloading. I thought where Hod. would advertise it that way for the 06 it might be so.

Every time powder temps comes up, it reminds me of GG's post ...

Absolutely! There have been many tests on this subject. Many have been published and some data is contradictive but I'll give you my own personal results.

As far as brands go, here's my list from most temperamental to least:

1. Ramshot (because they are all rifle ball powders)
2. Winchester (because they are all rifle ball powders)
3. Accurate (because they are mostly rifle ball powders)
4. Alliant
5. IMR
6. VV
7. Hodgdon

As for individual powders, my list is this: (I'm not going to name each powder here, just a few of the best and worst and a few of the ones in the middle)

most temperamental to least:

H380
H414
WW748
AA2460
WW760
H335
RL25
RL22
IMR4198
AA4350
VV550
H4895
IMR4350
IMR4831
IMR7828
N165
H1000
H322
H4831ssc
N170
N133
Benchmark
Varget

Even though some of the powders listed towards the bottom of the list are great for weather insensitivity, they still exhibit a need to tweek with the charge slightly in temperature changes to maintain a certain pressure. Despite some claims by some manufacturers that their powders will shoot the same from 20 below to 120 above, no powder is perfect. Temperature changes all combustables combustion. Period. It is unavoidable no matter what "coating" you use on the powder. And all powders show markedly different characteristics once the temp gets to and above 80 degrees. Loads worked up above 80 will still work accurately as long as the temp stays above 80 degrees. But loads worked up below 80 degrees F do better shot up to around 75 degrees. Or in other words, loads worked up in cool weather hold their node for a longer temp range than loads worked up at or above 80 degrees F.

I'm not sure why 80 degrees is the unlucky number, but I have seen this be the fulcrum of load development time and time again with every brand and make of powder--especially ball powders.

(http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=209949)

Everyone should know by now that H-4350 is my baby go to powder...from 25/06to .338wm and everything just about in between it's the only powder I use end of story...I always get exceptional accuracy with it, maybe not the highest velocity but it's nice to buy just one for everything...but I've never noticed any real point of impact due to temperature ... From -20 to 85 degrees can't say I've ever had any problem whatsoever ..and I don't think I've ever heard a single person complain about poi with it...

Everyone should know by now that H-4350 is my baby go to powder...from 25/06to .338wm and everything just about in between it's the only powder I use end of story...I always get exceptional accuracy with it, maybe not the highest velocity but it's nice to buy just one for everything...but I've never noticed any real point of impact due to temperature ... From -20 to 85 degrees can't say I've ever had any problem whatsoever ..and I don't think I've ever heard a single person complain about poi with it...

Mine is 4831SC!

Mine is whatever I dang well please.
If your load is that unstable, you have no business running it anyways.
That, or run a summer load, and winter load.... but, there again... why?
I usually do my load dev right around 45-65 degrees... aka right as spring hits.
Seems to be the best all around "stability" test for me.

However, I will give you all this.
I have had my best luck with "one hit wonders" with RL22,19,33,50,Varget and Retumbo... every now and the I4831.
I have yet to EVER see a load run decently with H4831sc or H1000. Maybe I'm an unlucky bas***age ...lol gun)

Fenix, thanks for that post by GG. Everything he has there seems to be true in my own load development with different powders. Sometimes ya just need to see it from somebody else.

Fenix, thanks for that post by GG. Everything he has there seems to be true in my own load development with different powders. Sometimes ya just need to see it from somebody else.

You're quite welcome! As you can see, he's very well respected here, and I wish he starts posting again. I've always enjoyed his posts; I hope he's doing well.

Cheers!

Went to my local Gun Shop today, got caught up on all the politics and picked up a can of H4350 powder. I asked about that IMR 4451 powder and was told that stuff is rarer than hens teeth. So I guess I'll have to wait awhile to try it out. That's ok because I was more interested in the H4350 powder anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.