H - 4831 s.c. 300 wsm

Duane Waterson

Today I shot a ladder using 2 shells in each charge. This method usually works best for me. I started off with 68,68.5, 69, 69.5, 70, 70.5g and 180g nbt. Winchester cases wlr primers. I had read a few articles using standard primers getting better groups other wise I use magnum primers. Results were fair at best ladder grouping was about 1.5 moa. @200 yds...no noticeable nodes. A few of the like charges would measure .5 moa. But no noticeable nodes. One thing stuck out to me while shooting this ladder. The velocities had large spreads even in like charges ( as much as 68 fps) in one pairing. I also understand this could b factored by firmness in shouldering rifle and chrono error. But seems extreme for this powder. Do you think this is caused by poor ignition from standard primer? Should I give this ladder another go with Magnum primer? Might explain random groupings. Gun has shot much better with H-1000 and Magnum primers, was just looking for great group and more velocity. Gun is mostly stock Tikka T3 lite 24 3/8" barrel so keeping it at max mag length for repeater. My lightweight rig.

I use H4350 and RL17 in my 300 WSM. I too have seen that a lot of folks use regular primers with the WSM and I did too for quite a while. Then I discovered that I got much lower ES and SD with Mag primers. Accuracy was the same short range but I feel that accuracy at long range is better with the mag primers. I went from Federal 210M to Federal 215M.

I have tried IMR 4831 in my 300 WSM did not work out. In your case prep. did you run a flash hole reamer in all the cases, That could have an influence on performance. When I started with the 300 WSM I got my data off the internet. In Speer data they used CCI 250 primers with slow burning powders, Hornady Data uses WLRM primers, Nosler with WLRM and IMR with Federal 215 primers. My go to load is, Win. Brass FLS, Trimmed, champhered in and out, and flash hole reamed, Win. LRM Primer, worked up to 65 Gr. (Sixty Five) IMR 4350 and 180 Gr. Sierra Bullet. 9/19 group at 100 yds. Worked up to 65.0 (Sixty Five) IMR 4350 with Nosler 180 Partition. C.O.L. 2.860. Elk and Caribou load for a Kimber Montana Rifle. It may be worth another run of H-4831 with Mag. Primers. Good Luck in finding the load that works.

I have had similar results as barrelnut. I tried a bunch of powder and primer combos and settled on 215 primers and h4350 with bullets up to 185 grns. Above that h4831 was better. I shot the 210 for awhile but in the end the 215s are just more consistent for me.

Thanks for the replies... I'm gonna run it again using mag primers. Also try h-4350 ... also I'm switching to nosler brass, my win brass between multiple fireings and prepping pockets has gotten loose. Time to step up to better brass for development on final product anyways.

I found Norma brass will last much longer than the nosler. My last bunch of cases were nosler and it is good brass but it's done with 4 loads on it. I have some Norma cases with twice that. I'll be going back to Norma brass for my wsm.

I have bought 25ct. Of nosler already to try... outrageous $$$$ almost 70. I was under impression they were made by Norma... ??? Oh well, wish Lapua would produce it... more options and help price battle . Boxes sitting next to each other on retail shelves show quit a difference in $ as far as calibers in which brass is produced in Lapua and ones that are not... They got you!!!!

4831 is to slow for 180s in the 300wsm. Go with a heavier bullet or H4350.

Or

Go the other way with a lighter bullet and Reloader 17.

I shoot the 300wsm and I'm on my 4th lot of 500ct 208 A-Max and many others.

I'm gonna finish this ladder and move up to at least 200 grain accubond. I have lots of slow H powders. From Lapua and rum. Never ran RL. 17 ..years ago ran 19 and 15 in few cartridges but got away from it. Should have started heavier on bullets but had lots of nbt and accubond in 180 which I broke in with. Gun is 1-11 so not sure I should try much more than 210 or 215's. Original plan was ablr's but can't wait.

I wish lapua made it also. I had great luck with nosler brass in 25/06 and 6.5-284. I have been less than impressed with it in my stw and wsm. 300 rum has been decent but it just took a big price hike as well. I have heard that Norma makes it but in my experience it is different than the Norma brand headstamp. You will like it I just hope your lot lasts longer than mine.

Talked to a Berger rep today and he recommended R17 with their 185 Hunter Classic which as he said was designed to fit in factory magazines.

Going to give it a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.