H-4831-Fallen out of favor?

demented

It seems that H-4831 is no longer one of the favorites, especially when reloading for the 7mm Rem mag. Is there a reason that loading manuals are showing fewer loads for this powder and its not as highly recommended now as it was a few years ago?

It seems that H-4831 is no longer one of the favorites, especially when reloading for the 7mm Rem mag. Is there a reason that loading manuals are showing fewer loads for this powder and its not as highly recommended now as it was a few years ago?

I don't know about falling out of favor but most people have switched to H4831 sc just because
it measures easier and is considered an extream powder(Less effected by temperature).

It is still a great powder and it is hard to abandon if it still out performs the newer powders
(which it sometimes does).

Also there are so many new powders that can be tested in a rifle that can produce higher
velocities that is the name of the game on this site that it is hard not to use them unless
the accuracy just isn't as good and then we fall back on the tried and true.

4831 may be down but it is not out.

J E CUSTOM

I don't know about falling out of favor but most people have switched to H4831 sc just because
it measures easier and is considered an extream powder(Less effected by temperature).

J E CUSTOM

I may have been wrong, but I thought H4831 and H4831sc were the same powed other than Kernal lenght. I have shot both in my 7 rem mag with the same load with no difference. The H4831sc meters much better, but no difference.

During the shortage of poweder I found a 8lbs of H4831 and have not looked back. But the loads I see with Retumbo look interesting, but not enough to switch.

H4831 is a good powder and in some cartridge/rifle applications it is a great powder. I don't use near as much of it now as I used to but I don't rate it any lower than I ever did. It is the powder of choice for the factory loaded Remington 250 grain bullets for their 338RUM although they will not admit it one way or another.

Theres nothing at all wrong with the tried and true IMR 4831, IMR 4350, H 4831, or the H 4350. But as. There are alot more powders out there that give higher velocities now tho. Like RL-19, and RL-22. If you can get your bullet to go where you want it with a higher velocity then why use the slower powder? If it doesnt group well, then you can fall back on the ''tried and true''.

Noslers website gives great load data, per caliber/cartrige, with thier bullets, and is a great starting block for your load development. They tend to push the ''max load'' just a tick further than most current load books. Knowing theres a safety margine built into thier load data makes some of the current load manuals data look pretty conservitave in nature. Dont get me wrong I dont start at max load nor do I recomend it, but Id use Noslers load data (top 3 loads) as a starting block and work up from there as far as I could, as long as the accuracy stayed there and no pressure signs appeared. I dont mind semi flat primers, but pancaked primers tell me to back it off a little :D. Good Luck

Last edited:
I may have been wrong, but I thought H4831 and H4831sc were the same powed other than Kernal lenght. I have shot both in my 7 rem mag with the same load with no difference. The H4831sc meters much better, but no difference.

During the shortage of poweder I found a 8lbs of H4831 and have not looked back. But the loads I see with Retumbo look interesting, but not enough to switch.

Even though they are listed as the same, H4831sc slightly faster although not much and it may
just be that it is newer or powder density is different because of grain size.

The one good thing about 4831 is that it is linear in pressure when increased .5 grains at a time
you can count on pressures increasing in predictable amounts.

Retumbo does not share this trait.(You can up the loads with predictable pressures then all of
a sudden pressures go off the charts).I have experienced this phenomenon with H4350 and retumbo
plus some of the re loader powders.

There are faster powders but speed is not the only thing to consider when loading for a rifle
or a pistol.

J E CUSTOM

Run H4831 in everything from 22/6mm AI, 6.5x55 AI, 7mm Rem Mag, & 300 Win Mag.

Slowly converting over to H4831 SC, just for the convenience. No/little change in velocity or accuracy noticed.

Definitely will not turn down the opportunity to buy an eight pounder of H4831 or H4895!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.