Gunwerks vs HSM 7mm Rem Mag 168 VLD

cummin_un_glued

for those of us that do not load our own i thought i would share this information

i ordered 2 boxes of Gunwerks 7mm rem mag loaded with 168gr vlds but before they came in i was in a cabelas and i picked up 2 boxes of HSM loaded with the same bullet.... my gun does not like the HSMs at all. i have not had a chance to shoot the gunwerks ammo yet but here is what i found .... HSM on left GW on right.....

847335739_photobucket_68523_.jpg

the gunwerks box said to check that they would fit in your rifle so that was why i done the side by side

also no problems with the gunwerks in my weatherby vanguard / howa 1500 action

Please report back on the gunwerks ammo, I have a weatherby vanguard submoa, and was thinking of buying some gunwerks ammo.

There is a million posts about the berger bullet and seating depth, which is likely the only difference between those two loads. Pretty obvious the Gunwerks ammo is seated slightly longer. You first do want to see if it fits in your mag, and then cycles properly. Berger has noted that these bullets are sensitive to seating depth and they recommend using .040" variances, starting with them touching the rifling, then backing out .040", until you find a length they like the best. If your gun likes Bergers at all, and many will, it just may not like them at the seating depth these manufacturers make them in.

I believe both these manufacturers use Win Brass, Fed 215 primers, and Retumbo powder. If not Retumbo in might be H1000, but I know it is an Extreme Powder as they claim the loads to not be temp sensitive.

I have a Sako that likes this very formula, seated to kiss the rifling. I just picked up a Browning A-Bolt with a short magazine, and it happens to love them seated to the Mag length, which is exactly .080" short of the rifling.

Good luck.

We ran a longer chamber in our 7mm and can seat them out to 3.49 oal. Just off the lands and accuracy is very good in Rock 9 twist. Thinking your odds of finding joy with bergers will be greatly enhanced if you start reloading.

yeah i figured the only difference between the loads was the seating depth and that is all i was showing, yes i know i would get better results if i loaded my own but i simply do not have the time.

just figured it might be some usefull information to some people is all

Absolutely as the bergers really seem to like different seating depths in different rigs. One of those two factory loads should work well. Good luck to you in your shooting.

If the Gunwerks load does work well, the good thing is that if you do get into loading down the road or have a friend who does, for the price of some brass and dies($30), you can load for about .70 cents(bullet, powder, primer) a round and I'm pretty sure the components are like I said. Someone on here can probably verify.

i'm very happy with the gunwerks ammo it is grouping very nice, i am going to get into reloading tho within the next year because i picked up a new weatherby vanguard series 2 in .257 wby mag this week and i plan to load for it because of the cost of factory ammo, gunwerks does load for it at $70 per box so that's what i will shoot untill i start loading

I know of at least one load worked up by Mike at Gunwerks for one of their LR-1000 rifles prescribes h-1000 powder with Berger 168 VLDs for a 7mm Rem Mag. I believe their ammo comes in Hornady brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.