Gunsmith question for 300 wsm...

crazyhorse

A couple years ago I built a 300wsm on a new 700 action. It has a Shilen select match bbl and HS Precision PSS stock. At the time the gunsmith talked me into using a reamer he had on hand from one of the BR shooters he builds rifles for. The reamer was designed for a "tight neck" at .336 diameter. I was just getting into LR shooting and thought this would be the way to go.

Fast forward a couple of years and I have seen enough guns without this feature shoot just as good and turning the necks is a royal pain in the butt!

My question is could I have the neck opened up on the current chambering without a great risk of affecting accuracy? I really don't want to set the barrel back as its only 24" now (told you I was new when I built it). The barrel only has about 50 rounds through it and shoots great. i would like to use it without a total rebuild, but do not want to turn necks anymore.

Thoughts?

yes you can have the neck opened up. amy smith with a standard neck reamer can do it, or a 300 wsm reamer with the neck you want, can be used but might slightly alter your freebore/lead if it was ground different than you original.

You only have to turn the necks once. If have 50 pieces of brass done it will last a very long time if you anneal to prevent the necks splitting. I would keep the way it is and get a bushing sizer and a body die. I think you are set up quite nicely. You may regret opening the neck and you already have brass fire formed to your chamber.

Thanks for the info!

I do have the redding competition series dies with the bushing, also the micrometer seater die.

.284 your probably right, I was just wondering if it was possible. Rather than take a chance on messing with a good thing, I will probably sell it to fund other project builds.

I am the same way, all info is appreciated.

I sure wish I had the time and money to tear up a few guns while teaching myself the trade!

My smith talked me into a tight body .308 and a tight neck 300WSM. Never again. I shoot straight SAMMI spec chambers. I am just as accurate w/o having to go the extra steps of small body sizing and neck turning. K.I.S.S is my motto!:cool:

I can agree on a no turn neck but going SAMMI spec is a turnoff for me. I prefer to specify the throat angle and how much freebore. I also supply a dummy round to the reamer maker, PT&G. Have been very happy with the results.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.