Gunsmith for full build

Ripper

I'm looking for a respectable gunsmith to put the part's together for me. Some of the gunsmith's I was considering have build are:

Dave Tooley
Ed Brown
Kirby Allen

Maybe someone will reccommend some other's for me.
Thanks,
-RiP

Last edited:
Ripper,

Give me a call at Montour County Rifles (570) 437 - 2010 or shoot me an e-mail, I'd be more than happy to talk with you about putting together a build with you. I'm sure plenty here can vouch for my work or take a look in the gun photo section at some of my recent builds.

www.mcrifles.com

I for one will vouch for Kevin's work anyday of the week and twice on Sunday:D

He builds some of the finest rifles I seen...just look in the photos section and look for yourself.

Or search "eleanor" She was my purty little beauty he built for me..

And they all flat out shootgun)

Last edited:
* >
> I have been shooting a 7 WSM for a couple of years. I have a H.S. removable mag in it. I have not been 100 % happy with the way the bolt picks up the cartridge some times it rides over the top even after the feed lips are adjusted. Is their a removable Mag system you could recommend that is specific for a 7 WSM that I could use on my Remington 700 s action or a smith I could talk to about this problem that is familiar with 7 WSM???
>
> Thank You
>
> Hart2Heart

Take a look at the Seekins Detachable Box mag for WSM cartridges. I've used them before on a few builds and are very good quality and didn't run into any feeding issues.

Thank you

Did you notice what the overall length of the mag was. The HS mag forces me to seat 160,000 off my lanz with my 180 bergers otherwise the cartridges wont fit in the clip.

On average, if I supply everything, what's the cost to put the rifle together? Also, I noticed quite a few companie's put their name's on the build. No disrespect to their wanting to do so, but if this is going to be my rifle I don't want anyone elses name on it but mine. Is this a bad thing to be asking?

Thanks,
-Rip

Last edited:
The cost can vary greatly on what options you'd like done, ie: muzzle brake, barrel finish, special attachments etc. I have all my prices itemized on my website so that someone can see what I charge for each option. Best bet would be to write an e-mail to who you'd like to have build your rifle listing everything you'll be supplying and what exactly you'd like done. As for the engraving of the builders name on the barrel, most gunsmiths are proud of what they build and want it to be known who built this particular masterpiece. I engrave "Montour County Rifles" opposite of the bolt handle side of the barrel, but will add any additional wording the customer would like.

Hi Kevin,

I'll check your website out. I am trying to avoid as many engraving's as possible even know it's kind of like asking a professional artist to draw you a masterpiece and leave off their signature. No disrespect to any of the builder's but the only person that I am going to let put this rifle together is someone who is willing to leave that signature off. The reason being I am going to have one of these rifle's built for dad, and his name is going to be on it. Nobody elses. Like I said, it's no desrepect, it's just something i'm not budging on, and I know someone out their is willing to do it.

Thanks much,
-Rip

Rip legally the licensed smith needs to put his engraving on a manufactured rifle.

That engraving can be on the bottom of the barrel hidden by the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.