Gunsmith called (-:

Iron Worker

Had a aftermarket Brux bbl installed on my Weatherby Vanguard along with truing up the action and a bedding job on Bell &Carlson Medalist stock. BBL is a 8" twist in standard 22/250. Gunsmith cut the chamber with standard throat reamer . So what bullet should I first find a load with ? 55gr or 60,65 . June 1st I'll be slaying a newly discovered creature called a prairie dog. Smith also said he could buy a throater and cut it deeper for the heavier longer bullets. But then I'd have a freebore if I wanted to shoot 55gr missiles ?

Had a aftermarket Brux bbl installed on my Weatherby Vanguard along with truing up the action and a bedding job on Bell &Carlson Medalist stock. BBL is a 8" twist in standard 22/250. Gunsmith cut the chamber with standard throat reamer . So what bullet should I first find a load with ? 55gr or 60,65 . June 1st I'll be slaying a newly discovered creature called a prairie dog. Smith also said he could buy a throater and cut it deeper for the heavier longer bullets. But then I'd have a freebore if I wanted to shoot 55gr missiles ?

If the smith used a standard SAAMI reamer, there is already a lot of freebore. For example, OAL to the lands in my 22-250 with a 69 SMK is 2.510 (I actually load it @ 2.430). My two cents regarding freebore in 22-250 is to leave it alone.

As for bullets, I don't believe there is a bullet under about 68 grains that can run with the 53 VMAX. That's where I would start. On the heavy end, the 75 AMAX is another one that is very hard to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.