Gunship Guy intro

Gunship Guy

Hello to all. I'm a 26 year AF veteran who has enjoyed hunting in Colorado whenever I could get back here from wherever I was stationed or deployed. My primary focus has been Elk, Mulies, and Whitetails, and Pronghorn both in Colorado and Wyoming. Have always been a Weatherby fan and my primary hunting rifles are a 300 Wby Mark V purchased in 1971 (therefor 12" twist) and a 257 Wby Mark V purchased 2 years later (and also 12" twist). Both have 26" tubes and have been minimally upgraded with Canjar single set triggers and are otherwise stock. The 300 Wby has been all I could ask for for Elk and Mulies with 165/180/and 200 Gr Nosler partitions even with the slower twist, and 100 gr Hornady spire points are accurate in my slower twist 257 for Deer and Pronghorn. Currently considering a rebarrel of the 257 to 10" or 9.5" to stabilize longer bullets. Inputs for the 257?

Hello to all. I'm a 26 year AF veteran who has enjoyed hunting in Colorado whenever I could get back here from wherever I was stationed or deployed. My primary focus has been Elk, Mulies, and Whitetails, and Pronghorn both in Colorado and Wyoming. Have always been a Weatherby fan and my primary hunting rifles are a 300 Wby Mark V purchased in 1971 (therefor 12" twist) and a 257 Wby Mark V purchased 2 years later (and also 12" twist). Both have 26" tubes and have been minimally upgraded with Canjar single set triggers and are otherwise stock. The 300 Wby has been all I could ask for for Elk and Mulies with 165/180/and 200 Gr Nosler partitions even with the slower twist, and 100 gr Hornady spire points are accurate in my slower twist 257 for Deer and Pronghorn. Currently considering a rebarrel of the 257 to 10" or 9.5" to stabilize longer bullets. Inputs for the 257?
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts