Gunpowder Availability?

Zep

I spoke to Sinclair a few weeks back and they told me Hodgdon powder is not coming in because of trade issues. I do not have a clue what that means.

Can anyone tell me if they are getting Hodgdon powder.

Most of you have a stock pile but many of us do not. If we can't get powder we can't shoot. Yes, I should have been smart enough to buy kegs before but I was not into rifle until last summer. And since I was working up loads I was buying by the pound.

Are things easing up and I just can't see it or is this as bad as I think it is.

Please respond - I need to hear from everyone.

I need to hear from everyone because if we can't get it imported into the USA then we will get in touch with Hodgdon and figure out how to start making it here.

Is there a web site or a blog out there monitoring this issue?

Or are you all getting powder and I am just on the outside looking in?

Hate to say it but I don't know on powder availability. I always just keep 2 kegs or so of each of the powders I need on hand so when this happens you can go a few years generally before you run out. Hate to say it but buying in bulk of the same lots saves you lots of trouble.

It's hit and miss for me. The internet is a mixed blessing, find what you want, but after the hazmat fee and shipping a $20 pound of powder can turn into $60.

I don't know about the trade issues either - but looking at Powder Valley's inventory, it appears that IMR, Alliant, Accurate and all of them must have the same issues :

Powder Valley, Inc. (very sad)

I hate that HAZMAT fee, so I try to buy locally. One dealer nearby will order any powder for me, using my credit card to hold it, and when it comes in will call me. And, his prices are fair.

BTW, Hodgon is made in Australia, Canada, Mexico and probably a few other locations.

I'm in Tennessee and in the past 2 weeks I've purchased Varget, Reloader 15 & 19 and AR Comp. Prices are up about a dollar a pound from last fall. everything has been in one pound containers, haven't been able to find anything larger. The store I've been getting this at does have a one pound limit but since I bought almost all my reloading equipment and several guns there they let me get 3 pounds at a time. Just a month ago their powder shelves were almost empty so I'm hoping this is a sign the supply is returning to normal.

I've been seeing a lot more Hodgdon locally over the last 6-8weeks. Varget, H4831, Retumbo, and H4350 specifically. Maybe the local guys here are getting supply from the last shipment to hit the wholesalers? In any case, it has seemed better lately to me . . .

In Billings I have lately been able to get IMR 8208 XBR, H4895, Varget, H4350 and several others I have no use for like H4831 or IMR 4198. You have to hit Scheel's, Cabela's, Big R, and Big Bear Sports and buy powder when it's available. The sales limit is usually two pounds total, or one pound of one type. Big Bear lets you have two pounds of one type. Where sales limits are imposed, there is usually something available. I try to always have 2 pounds of each rifle powder on hand at all times, plus the fact I have thousands of preloaded rounds. This is prairie dog and coyote territory. Dealers always had high sales of reloading powders around here, and past sales tend to dictate what they now receive. If you live in an area where sales have recently vastly increased, the dealer allotment will still be the same as in the past and it will stay in very short supply for a long time in your area.

Ramshot powders are in really short supply here, and it's the "Montana powder"...... go figure.

Hodgdon and IMR are the most available rifle powders around here, and bullets and primers are in reasonable supply, considering what most areas of the country are experiencing. Pistol stuff is what stays sold out.

You can ALWAYS get powder form those who stashed it away ahead of time and you meet their price as to what it is worth to them. RUN AN AD IN THE PAPER and see what turns up. One guy around here is selling bricks of cheap .22LR for $85. I'll let my Stinger bricks go for $125 each.

Thanks everyone. One thing I am going to do is put a notice up at my club. I bet I can find some powder that way.

I have had some luck recently with Third Generation for Hodgdon powders, but it has been sporadic. Varget, H1000, H4831 and a few others have been available. But it sells very quickly. They do offer a flat rate on shipping, $7.95 IIRC and a $27.50 Hazmat fee on the entire order, not per pound.

You can also keep an eye on GunBot find 223 5.56 AR-15 ammo in stock. They offer near real-time availability of ammo and reloading supplies, including powder. The reloading section is new and new vendors are being added daily. Good luck

If you have a Sportsman's Warehouse in your area, give them a call on Friday mornings (in some areas it is sat morning). They will usually tell you what has come in. If they have what you want, then you need to hustle over right then and get it. They limit the amount that you can buy and it all goes within a few hours. I picked up an 8 lb. jug of Retumbo from them about six weeks ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts