Gun writer statements that are no longer applicable or you don't agree with.

All of that to say that one can be a very successful hunter by learning to use the tools you have and how to read your environment.
That say's alot right there, makes me wonder how we got along before all this "you can't get along without it" stuff. 57 years ago when I started there was very little camo, no gore tex, a hotseat was a hunting magazine, and scope cap was a glove pulled over the obj end (lost a lot of gloves). Lever guns ruled up where I hunted with win. 92's and 94's with open sights and 99 savage's with redfield all american scopes or weavers. A bushnell 29.95 sport view was a lot brighter than what was available back then. Saw some huge bucks shot and poled out. Gun writers hadn't sold out too badly to the manufactures yet, that would come though. Saw a record buck brought out to a local store and the horns hacked out of the skull with an axe and traded for 2 sixpacks of beer. I swear it happened and a very famous gunwriter ended up writing a hookum story about its kill and bought and sold it for quite a profit. Was that the good old days? Every decade has its good and bad. I sure never took anything that writer had to say as true after that.

Someone mentioned Bob Brister; now there is a guy that broke new ground. His experiments with shot stringing gave us insights none of us would have without his fine work. Jim Carmichel is another writer who knew his stuff (mostly retired now), but unlike many "gun writers" Carmichel competed in XTC, benchrest, etc. I think he still shoots BR.

I wish I could remember some. I more or less looked at pics for neat things to buy. One 243 vs 270, or 25-06 vs 270 article, or the 270 is good for a T Rex just in case one comes around the corner.
I to this day cannot stand a VS thread. Should I build a 6 Dasher vs a 300 WM for elk at 1K, did you think before you typed?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.