Gun vaults?

The rooms Ive done where a smaller space like under a entry and you already had 3 foundation walls,concrete or ICF type concrete walls. If you plan ahead you get safe door rough opening and build to suit. You could do a concrete block wall w/rebar and grout pump it.

That's my plan if we ever build another house. If not, I do have a small room in the basement that may become a very large safe.

Concrete walls with a vault door work really well to store firearms. Just be sure that all 6 walls are difficult to enter - someone can always cut a hole through from above if you forget that method of entry.

Picture this . You have a small let say 10x8 pop out entry on house,little timber gable. Below is basement,so above I do small floor system with poured and stamped concrete.That is lid for room:)

The one built was in a new house, in master bathroom. It was in the plans so rebar was placed before slab was poured. Then we welded rebar to that to about 5 foot off the floor. Laid concrete blocks up to there then welded more rebar. Then more blocks. When we got to the ceiling we used a couple layers of really tight fitting plywood, and pillars, and braces, and silicones the edges for the ceiling. Welded rebar in place for the ceiling then poured concrete on top of it. Slapped a steel door on it and boom, a safe room.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.