Gun Socks

CVCOBRA1

Who on here uses those silicone treated gun socks? I think the real benefit would be for those gun safe dings that we all have had a one time or another. One of those cringes that happen no matter how careful you try to be. If those safes had better lighting it would be better. Not sure how the "rust proofing" would help esp in a salt air climate but I don't really have that problem.
They are cheap enough but are they a hassle and not worth it?

They can be a pain. Also makes quick identification difficult. The ones I use have a label, but it is at the open end which I'd under the butt stock. I've added hang tags to speed things up.

I use them quite a bit, for rifles and extra barrels. When in a case/drag bag, until ready to use. The barrels will be in a sock and in a cardboard cylinder like they are commonly shipped in.

They are great for keeping rifles from getting dinged up in the safe. That's what I use them for I only put a sock on every other gun and it works well

Every long gun I have is in one, been using them for years. Helps with safe dings and all of mine have tags on the closed end for easy ID. I don't find them a hassle to remove or install. For scoped guns just use an oversized. Cheap LED ribbon lights with a motion sensor does wonders for lighting up the inside of the safe.
jk

I use them most of the time while stored and for handling going to a gun show or traveling in conjunction with a soft case. they also keep the dust and dirt off/out of them.

For the safe dings, I modified the distribution shelf to hold less guns and give my guns more space. Most safes are made to hold as many rifles as possible and need to be reduced in numbers. Another solution is to set up one safe with bolt guns with scopes and another for military and assault rifles to help the socks prevent dings.

Like others, I just write on the sock which rifle it contains with a Marksalot to make it easy to identify. I also have two types, One is the stretchy kind, and one is heavy treated material with a Velcro flap. (These are best for transport).

I think they help if stored for any length of time, but need to be looked at periodically.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.