Gun for Grandaughter

Dead Beat

my grandaughter wants to start hunting with me. so i need a gun for her the question is what caliber we will be going to wisconsin next fall for a deer hunt and then maybe to colorado for elk i dont want something that kicks like my 300 rum i was thinking along the line of 7mm-08 what ya think thanks JIM

I just got my girlfriend to start hunting. A 25-06 had too much recoil velocity for her to handle without flinching after three or four rounds. She shoots my .243 into nice 3/4 MOA groups every trip out and never flinches. In a large/heavy rifle, the 708 should work. I would avoid the Model 7s IMO.

Check out the Stevens model 200 by Savage for an inexpensive gun. I bought one for my daughter in 7mm-08, she shots 1/2 MOA with my gun rest and Hornady's 139 grain Interlocks. The price doesn't fit the accuracy of this little gun.

For deer with a new recoil shy hunter you just cant go wrong with a 243 for less than 450 yrds with the right loads. For elk you would be looking at a different caliber. Not that a 243 cant do it because thousands have died from a 243 but with a new hunter I would opt for something with a little more horse power. I would give the 7-08, 260 a try if she is really little. If shes a bigger frame gall then I would try maybe one of the short mags. Either the remington or winchester short mag would do, but I would go with the winchester because it is more popular. If it is to much then have a muzzle brake put on. As for the short mags I would think any thing from the 270 to the 325 would work just fine. My favorite would be either the 7mm, 300 or 325. My little brother got a 300wsm for his 12 birthday and he handles it just fine. Course My familly is a little bigger than normal since my 12 year old brother stands six foot and 200lbs wearing a size 14 shoe. My dad and I both started out with 300wins and decided my little brothers first rifle should be close to the same. Hope this helps. As for rifle I have always had good luck with remingtons or savages.

My grand daughter shoots a 7-08,Ibought for her to use when she was 15.TSX 120 at 2600 don't recoil too hard and will kill anything that is properly hit.Since it is stored in my safe I also get to use it therefore it's a M 700 stainless w/clip.The youth model 7 is a good choice as the adult sized stock can be purchased later and grow with her

I'll second what all of these folks said.

By the time it comes to hunt you'll most probably see that the recoil and stuff are no problem. granddaughters are way cooler than grandfathers when it comes to making the shot.:eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The 7-08 or 260 would be good choices. Savage seems to be the best price. Accuracy can be expected to be good. Then you can spend a bit more on the glass.

The savage stock can be fitted now and replaced for growth less expensively than some of the others.

Good luck, shooting and huntin.

My eight year old (now 9) killed his first deer this year with a 7.08; all 64 lbs of him. He shot the Remington Mod 7 several times unbraked but I had a brake installed, that along with a Limbsaver pad on a shortened stock and 120 gr. loads makes for a deadly, mild recoiling little rifle.

Savage in 243 or 7-08 are both good choices Savage has a youth model or you can get a after market stock for a std. in a youth model, spend the money on good glass, and ammo for her to practice with. I have enjoyed hunting with my daughter for three years she loves hunting ground squirrels with me and she is a great shot remember ear protection.

I bought a Winchester model 70 "Youth Model" short action in .308 for my son. I then had a compensator installed, and down-loaded my .308 handloads to about 2,600 fps with 150 gr. bullets. Mild recoil. Good elk medicine out to 300 yards. As he grew older, replaced youth stock with full length composit stock. Now holding rifle for grandson/granddaughter.

[ QUOTE ]
my grandaughter wants to start hunting with me. so i need a gun for her the question is what caliber we will be going to wisconsin next fall for a deer hunt and then maybe to colorado for elk i dont want something that kicks like my 300 rum i was thinking along the line of 7mm-08 what ya think thanks JIM

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my boy a Stevens (Savage basically) 200 in 7mm-08. Shoots 1 hole and he loves it. Very practical and inexpensive. Now in the future if he decides hunting is for him and he wants something "prettier" then we will see. BTW.... 110 gr Speer TNT's at 1200 fps with Unique are way too fun! Much funner than a 22 LR.

thanks fo all the replies i will check out the savage my grandaughter will be 14 on her next birthday she 5ft. 8in. and weights right at 127 pounds so she should be able to handle a adult size gun i will do some more checking but the 7mm-08 will most likely get the nod im really excited about this and looking forward to this hunt in wisconsin i also like the tc encore rifle Thanks again Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.