GS HV bullet for big game?

theodoreh

Hello,

I'm tired of browsing website for experiences with GS HV bullets. I'm looking at GS HV 177 grain for a 300 mag to replace the 215 bergers for CA lead free plan. Looking for something better than Barnes LRX 175 and CEB 180 lazer. Bergers been wonderful for big game from ~40 yard to ~980 yard.

Any long range success with HV bullets?

Hello,

I'm tired of browsing website for experiences with GS HV bullets. I'm looking at GS HV 177 grain for a 300 mag to replace the 215 bergers for CA lead free plan. Looking for something better than Barnes LRX 175 and CEB 180 lazer. Bergers been wonderful for big game from ~40 yard to ~980 yard.

Any long range success with HV bullets?

You might also want to check out Hammer Bullets and Perigrine Bullets offerings too.

Nothing wrong with Barnes LRX bullets. Accurate, and lethal.

5 shot group at 200 yards by my 14 year old daughter. 6.5mm 127 LRX @ 3050fps from a 6.5 SLR .

Mule deer she took last year with the same rifle @ 637 yards. Dropped right there, without a single twitch. Broke front shoulder, took out top of lungs, shattered a vertebrae, and exited off side shoulder.

Glad to hear about the 127 LRX. I was going to try it in a new 6.5X47 I just put together. I've never shot Barnes before so I am a little reluctant to try them.

With the 181g Hammer Hunter last year before last I shot 2 elk, one at 400y and one at 500y. The bull at 400y was on the move when shot double lung and continued 75y and dropped. The 500y cow was facing and traveled 10y mostly sliding down hill. I shot 2 elk about 3 weeks ago. One at 500y with .375cal 329g double lung drt. The other was at 650y with 260g .338. Hit her low in the bottom of the heart and she traveled about 60y. Takni is a member here that shot AK bull moose with 154g .270cal at 730y through both shoulders drt. Other long range that comes to mind is a bull in Missouri Breaks MT with .270cal 117g at 550y drt. His shot was high in lungs just under the spine which I am sure caused the drt.

Another that comes to mind is another CA customer that I was on the phone with yesterday that shot a pig at just under 600y with 8mm 221g. His buddy had wounded the pig and it ran too far away for him so he shot it for him. Said it dropped on the shot through the shoulders.

We are CA certified lead free and are offering a satisfaction guarantee. Give us a go, I am sure you will be happy with our bullets. The 181g Hammer Hunter should run over 3000fps in your Win Mag with no trouble.

Feel free to call if you have questions. 406-261-0010

Steve

With the 181g Hammer Hunter last year before last I shot 2 elk, one at 400y and one at 500y. The bull at 400y was on the move when shot double lung and continued 75y and dropped. The 500y cow was facing and traveled 10y mostly sliding down hill. I shot 2 elk about 3 weeks ago. One at 500y with .375cal 329g double lung drt. The other was at 650y with 260g .338. Hit her low in the bottom of the heart and she traveled about 60y. Takni is a member here that shot AK bull moose with 154g .270cal at 730y through both shoulders drt. Other long range that comes to mind is a bull in Missouri Breaks MT with .270cal 117g at 550y drt. His shot was high in lungs just under the spine which I am sure caused the drt.

Another that comes to mind is another CA customer that I was on the phone with yesterday that shot a pig at just under 600y with 8mm 221g. His buddy had wounded the pig and it ran too far away for him so he shot it for him. Said it dropped on the shot through the shoulders.

We are CA certified lead free and are offering a satisfaction guarantee. Give us a go, I am sure you will be happy with our bullets. The 181g Hammer Hunter should run over 3000fps in your Win Mag with no trouble.

Feel free to call if you have questions. 406-261-0010

Steve

Your low velocity impact test on older threads is helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.