grouping for 600yd whitetails ?????????

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by 7mm mag sendero, Sep 28, 2010.

1. 7mm mag sendero

7mm mag sendero Active Member

if i wanted to hunt white tail deer at 600 yards what kind of groups should i strive for at 100yds im hunting with a senderosfII 300 win mag thanks for the input

2. blipelt

blipelt Well-Known Member

Most want to stay in or around 1/2moa. 1/2inch at 100 and 3 inches at 600yds. I always like to find the best group with the lowest extreme spread. Run them over a chrony to find your velocities of your loads. The difference between you lowest and highest is your extreme spread. Basically I am making sure of consistency.

Brent

3. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

You really need to shoot your rifle all the way out to 600 yards to see what YOU and IT are capable of. I have seen some rifles and loads that would shoot 4" groups at 500 yards and would only shoot 2" groups at 100. Some loads/bullets don't settle down until they get out to around 200 or so yards. Yes a rifle needs to shoot tight groups at distance but the main thing about distance shooting is YOU knowing how to dope the wind. The only way to learn to dope the wind is shoot, shoot, shoot in all conditions. Good luck and good shooting.

4. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

+1 on what Ernie just told you and I want to restate load testing past 200 yards is key! In my opnion all 100 yards tells you is your on paper.

5. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

Also need to leard to judge condition. Very important as well!

6. 7mm mag sendero

7mm mag sendero Active Member

well thank you for all your time and input.I plane on hiting the range hard the next week or so but wanted some input from the topguns thank you agian

7. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

once you get the load that you want to shoot, I would go straight to 600 yds. and see if you can consistently shoot groups that will kill a deer"in field conditions".......Rich