Groundhogs

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by sniper762mm, Aug 1, 2010.

1. sniper762mm

sniper762mm Well-Known Member

In 1999, I attended a four week truck driving school in Ashville, NC. A few of my fellow students and I drove about 10 miles out in the country and found a farm that had a lot of groundhogs on it. On the weekend we would go there and shoot groundhogs from a picnic table in a man’s yard (McElreath), that lived on top of a small mountain overlooking a valley. We shot several from distances of 300 and 500 yards with my Remington 700VS .308. We took them back to the school and cooked them and ate them.

2. Booney

Booney Well-Known Member

What did they taste like, and how did you cook them.

3. sniper762mm

i baked them in the oven. i must admit, they weren't that good. touch! little greasy. taste more like squirrel than anything ive eaten.

4. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

I eat one every spring. Grandma roast it. And yes they are greasy. But if you fll the bottom of the pan with apples cut in half and put the ghog on top it keeps it out of the grease.

5. sniper762mm

ive heard that they are better parboiled and fried

6. sniperjwt

sniperjwt Well-Known Member

they are a lot better when boiled and then fried. I killed a couple and took them to a friend who said he would cook them and that is how he did it and i thought it was really good. The younger the better though they are more tender.:D

7. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Well-Known Member

We used to eat them when we were kids. Mom did the par-boil/pan fry method. I swore to myself when I got a job I would never eat another! Local range has a g-hog smoker yearly for a fund raiser. I sure do like shooting them and digging there own grave is convenient!:)